+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just finished feeding my 3 year old son (so that pic could be me, if I dropped a few dress sizes )

I *hate* it and only continued because he would scream for an hour if refused in my weakened sleep deprived state at 5am (had managed to drop down to just one feed a day at least). Anyway it's a month later now and hes finally accepted it.

I tell you this because I assure you, it is NOT FOR ME, it is beyond irritating but I do it for the very well established health and social benefits.

In my case, I am also feeding a 2 and 1 year old, so it was hard to stop feeding just one. I am still feeding the 2 year old twice a day and again this is IRRITATING but I want her to have the full benefits of the milk, which provide lifelong immunological protection, there's no way at all you can get this from any food.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (11-05-2012),Etienne  (11-05-2012),GuestMember  (11-05-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (11-05-2012),meljemillie  (12-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (11-05-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012),SPC  (11-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-05-2012),Theophania  (12-05-2012),VicPark  (11-05-2012),Witwicky  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    eta I felt self conscious posting this, but I figure there needs to be balance presented.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (11-05-2012),Etienne  (11-05-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (11-05-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-05-2012),Theophania  (12-05-2012),Witwicky  (12-05-2012),wrena  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The photo makes me uncomfortable, and I find it very very sad that it does. The reason it does is because of the se.xual connotation of sucking on a breast. I hate that an older child sucking on a breast makes me think "ew. That's off". Because it shouldn't. But it does and I can't help it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum used to wander home from school and have a boob feed at age 5... I'm sure nobody else knew and my Nan wasn't getting called 'eeeeew' and 'gross' etc

My oldest friend had a daughter who was highly allergic to cows milk and other formulas (aswell as a few other foods)- she was breast fed just past three so she could could sustain a healthy weight and immune system and -- umm..GROW!

The pic DOES get your attention - but BFing until the child no longer wants to is not new...some are trying to make it 'fashionable' and others are just following their natural instinct.

I saw a comment on this on the SBS insight FB page - someone thought THIS image was 'sexualised' - seriously?!
    Geez if the mum was standing at the bench chooping dinner and multi tasking by letting her son have a feed standing on a chair - would that be 'sexualised'...or would she be putting her child 'in danger'?

Seriously Mothers can't win!
    Every one who BFs feels attacked, then FFeeders feel attacked because of the 'mom enough?' comment.

Someone else posted it on FB saying 'just express and get a cup!!'
    ... because expressing, cleaning a pump, cleaning a cup is sooo much easier and just makes it much more 'right' ? - why? - because a child's mouth isn't on it's mothers breast doing what it naturally evolved to do??

Our society freaking sucks sometimes

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),MilkiCuddles  (11-05-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (12-05-2012),Mod-Zeddie  (11-05-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I have just finished feeding my 3 year old son (so that pic could be me, if I dropped a few dress sizes )

I *hate* it and only continued because he would scream for an hour if refused in my weakened sleep deprived state at 5am (had managed to drop down to just one feed a day at least). Anyway it's a month later now and hes finally accepted it.

I tell you this because I assure you, it is NOT FOR ME, it is beyond irritating but I do it for the very well established health and social benefits.

In my case, I am also feeding a 2 and 1 year old, so it was hard to stop feeding just one. I am still feeding the 2 year old twice a day and again this is IRRITATING but I want her to have the full benefits of the milk, which provide lifelong immunological protection, there's no way at all you can get this from any food.
    This.

My Ds is 2 on june 2nd and I will continue to nurse while I feel he needs it,

He eats very little and I think nursing is the ONLY reason he is 14 kilos,

If we were to do as society expected and ween I think we would encounter a big problem re weight maintainance.

I experience extreme pain while nursing, at times it feels as though my nipples are being run over a cheese grater so for those who would say I continue 'for me' why would I do something that is pure agony for me? How exactly do I benefit?

The picture on the front was an odd choice and I *think* was chosen to cause a stir and attract peoples attention

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),VicPark  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    That is revolting.

edit: i mean the photo, I didn't bother reading the article, in a rush
    Nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    And that would matter becauseeeeee??

I know plenty of women who formula feed from birth and beyond for their own reasons. I take no issue with this whatsoever.
    I think breastfeeding at any age is a beautiful thing BUT I think any aspect of parenting done for the parents' best interests and not the child's is a bad idea.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The article and the photo don't match. The article is about attachment parenting.. and the photo was organised and shot by a photographer who he himself is not comfortable with the idea of extended breastfeeding.

The whole positioning and 'energy' of the photo, the fact the photographer chose to have the child standing on a chair, rather than being cuddled as would usually occur, the fact that the photographer chose a mother who specifically fits societies conventions of attractive, the fact that the photographer chose a mother with a male child, rather than a daughter, the fact that the mother's facial expression seems 'amused' rather than adoring, and the fact that neither of them has any physical contact except for the breast....

All the photographer has done is combine his own 'comfortable' opinions of mothers and breasts (past a baby)... which interestingly come across as very .... M.ILF.... yes? Or am I the only one who sees that obvious set-up by the photographer.

14. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (12-05-2012),bumMum  (11-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-05-2012),ElizaDoLittle  (11-05-2012),FluffyDucks  (11-05-2012),GreenMama  (11-05-2012),halloweendee  (11-05-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (11-05-2012),Hootenanny  (13-05-2012),IndigoJ  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),MilkiCuddles  (11-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (11-05-2012),MissMuppet  (11-05-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (12-05-2012),MrJones&Me  (11-05-2012),mrsdj1234  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012),Theophania  (12-05-2012),Witwicky  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    I think breastfeeding at any age is a beautiful thing BUT I think any aspect of parenting done for the parents' best interests and not the child's is a bad idea.
    We all do it though at some point or another. I don't think a mother should have to breastfeed against her will because it's not in the interests of the child.

I think a mother's mental health is incredibly important when it comes to raising children. If breastfeeding helps her bond with a child then so be it. I really can't imagine ANY woman offering a feed to a young child and that child screaming that he/she doesn't want to

People are just stuck on THIS issue because there is a *shock horror* breast involved.

The article actually talks about the health benefits for the child of breastfeeding and gentle nurturing beyond babyhood but people are still going on about how it's done for the mother's benefit. pmsl.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),mrswhitehouse  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    My mum used to wander home from school and have a boob feed at age 5... I'm sure nobody else knew and my Nan wasn't getting called 'eeeeew' and 'gross' etc

My oldest friend had a daughter who was highly allergic to cows milk and other formulas (aswell as a few other foods)- she was breast fed just past three so she could could sustain a healthy weight and immune system and -- umm..GROW!

The pic DOES get your attention - but BFing until the child no longer wants to is not new...some are trying to make it 'fashionable' and others are just following their natural instinct.

I saw a comment on this on the SBS insight FB page - someone thought THIS image was 'sexualised' - seriously?!
    Geez if the mum was standing at the bench chooping dinner and multi tasking by letting her son have a feed standing on a chair - would that be 'sexualised'...or would she be putting her child 'in danger'?

Seriously Mothers can't win!
    Every one who BFs feels attacked, then FFeeders feel attacked because of the 'mom enough?' comment.

Someone else posted it on FB saying 'just express and get a cup!!'
    ... because expressing, cleaning a pump, cleaning a cup is sooo much easier and just makes it much more 'right' ? - why? - because a child's mouth isn't on it's mothers breast doing what it naturally evolved to do??

Our society freaking sucks sometimes
    Love this reply .

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub