+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Man..didn't this mother cop it too!!

Apparently she looked too pretty, was too skinny and nobody makes that face while giving birth. Oh, apparently this was staged too, she wasn't even giving birth.

Gah. Mothers. You cannot win.
    Quiet obviously they weren't at my unhindered birth when no one is looking birth can be pretty raw!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    It seems like unless you say "Well I don't feel at ALL strange about it" then your opinion isn't respected in return. And it's really not such an odd opinion to have - I think we've all agreed that it is one that is fairly common in the society in which we live.

I'm not saying everyone has to agree, but I can definitely get why there aren't many people admitting to feeling confronted by the image in this thread.
    We're talking about real people here, with real feelings. The mother on the front of the magazine is a human being.

I just don't get the 'lets rip someone to shreds because she's on the cover of a magazine' deal.

The poor woman.

That's all I can muster up for today because my self-worth and self-esteem and faith in humanity have all fallen through the floor in the last two days thanks to an idiot editor who put the wrong photo of a woman on the cover of time magazine and put an inflammatory quote to go with it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (12-05-2012),Etienne  (12-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012),nicoletta  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-s...b_1509438.html

thought I would throw this one in!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Quiet obviously they weren't at my unhindered birth when no one is looking birth can be pretty raw!
    My waterbirth was filmed and put onto YT and you bet I did my hair

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (12-05-2012),nicoletta  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    We're talking about real people here, with real feelings. The mother on the front of the magazine is a human being.

I just don't get the 'lets rip someone to shreds because she's on the cover of a magazine' deal.

The poor woman.

That's all I can muster up for today because my self-worth and self-esteem and faith in humanity have all fallen through the floor in the last two days thanks to an idiot editor who put the wrong photo of a woman on the cover of time magazine and put an inflammatory quote to go with it.
    Benji - I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.

You're right - we are talking about real people, and with that comes real feelings and real backgrounds behind every one of our opinions.

I guess I just feel that no one has been really mean in this thread. I felt that almost everyone was supporting the woman on the cover. I felt in the minority as saying that I felt confronted by the image, although I tried my best to explain it, and specified that I did not think it was wrong.

I felt that some people (not all) seemed to be dismissing any societal factors in why people might be squeamish about the image, and labelling anyone who felt that way as a weirdo.

And it felt to me that those who were really honest with their feelings (and polite about it) were kind of laughed at / derided.

The comments that accompanied the original article were quite offensive. But I didn't think the comments in this thread were.

And I don't think that I was ripping anyone to shreds either. I've gone to some lengths to say that it wouldn't be my choice, and explaining why, without condemning her for her own choice (the mum on the cover).

It's difficult to have a thread like this if people can't express their opinions though. I understand how some women feel judged when feeding in public, and I understand that as a formula feeder too! But in this thread I've felt pretty judged for trying to be honest with my feelings.

I've said all along that I don't think that it is RIGHT to have those squeamish reactions. I know that not all my responses are perfect. I haven't name called at all. I was just trying to explain why those reactions might be there. That's all.

It just seems impossible to have a discussion about it though... (And I'm not blaming you for that, Benji). I guess it might be one of those threads that I should have just looked at and gone "Noooo... steer well clear..." But I wanted to try to explain from the other side.

Maybelline - I think those are both great posts!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (12-05-2012),FearlessLeader  (12-05-2012),Kaybaby  (13-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2012),VicPark  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    My waterbirth was filmed and put onto YT and you bet I did my hair
    Hahaha legend!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Girl X, I can understand that people would totally feel very uncomfortable looking at this picture. For some women it would trigger guilty feelings towards their own breastfeeding journeys - and many would be very offended at the (magazine editors) chosen title.

There are some who have expressed negativity towards this image that are genuinely misogynistic, twisted and disturbed - those types of people do need to be called out.

There was one very rude post at the beginning of the thread - saying that it was disgusting. I thought that was pretty rude - considering that there were people in this thread, including myself who openly discussed the topic of extended feeding.

Benji - I share your same anger and disgust at the comments posted in relation to this photo outside of BH. I cannot believe such people exist.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Much like this woman here in the nat geo 2011 photo competition?

Attachment 22033

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...s/122254/view/
    Well that photo doesn't actually show the vagina, so its not as bad as what it could have been. I do still question the woman's judgement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    That is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!