+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Girl X, bottle feeding a 1 day old baby in our society would probably be as "normal" in terms of how common it is as a mother breastfeeding a 3 year old.

I just wish people could keep their rude opinions to themselves (not you girl x) because the attitudes I've read in the past few days is the exact reason why I was housebound and depressed when DS was a newborn due to my fear of 'exposing' myself in public by breastfeeding, and having to keep it 'secret' from family and friends as to how long I actully breastfed him due to the shame I was forced to feel simply for doing something completely natural and absolutely non-sexual in any way.
    Sorry - having a slow brain afternoon - do you mean that the same % of people bottlefeed their 1 day old babies as BF their 3 yr olds?

And I do agree. This thread was obviously set up to explore people's opinions, so I have no issue in here with different thoughts - as long as they are conveyed respectfully.

But in greater society, I really do take your point. I feel for anyone who hides away like that, for fear of people getting the wrong idea. The last thing any mother needs is to be worried about what other people think, and unfortunately we do all seem to have to do that - for varying reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never felt weird about BF (I did till 3months old ) or bottle in public..didn't think anyone would really care..as I don't care what people do..

Do people really notice if you have a boob or bottle in your kids mouth?...not from my experience ...although have to admit seeing a almost 4 year old Bf I would probably having a second look....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    But why would he be embarrassed?

Do you think this baby will be embarrassed? Attachment 22008
    Kids get embarassed being around their parents when they're older. Imagine how a kid might feel if his schoolmates got hold of the picture of him sucking on his mothers breast. Whether its right or wrong kids are cruel. They tease others for simple things such as a persons name rhymes with something funny. They will have a field day with this photo.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Kids get embarassed being around their parents when they're older. Imagine how a kid might feel if his schoolmates got hold of the picture of him sucking on his mothers breast. Whether its right or wrong kids are cruel. They tease others for simple things such as a persons name rhymes with something funny. They will have a field day with this photo.
    Yeah I really doubt that hey... I don't think a kid would ever think, Oh might do some research on X and see if there is a photo of him breastfeeding as a child, expecially as a primary school kid, Imean how would they seriously find it?
    My parents have photos of me completely naked in a muddy creek holding an (empty) can of alcohol, I find this more embarassing then a photo of me breastfeeding.

ETA - I should also add DP was breastfed until 4, he's not embarassed about it at all, actually he wishes his first son was breastfed(for whatever reasons bio mum chose not to, is he decision and he recpects that) But he can't wait until out little boy is breastfed and is 100% supportive of me breastfeeding into toddlerhood and i'll be making sure I have heaps of photographic evidence, we aren't emabarssed and to be honest i'm that comfortable in my choices, I don't feel it needs to be justified to anybody else, and I assume the mother on Times is just as comfortable in her deicisons aswell.
    Last edited by Littlemissmetal; 12-05-2012 at 15:17.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Omg oooo so what about all those babies that came out of their mothers vaginas, isn't that just like having sex with them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg oooo so what about all those babies that came out of their mothers vaginas, isn't that just like having sex with them
    Seriously Thermolicious, your posts are just getting ridiculous and stupid now. Just Like your one with the baby and the McDonald's bun!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshinemoonlight For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think some people are being really honest about how they feel in this thread, and expressing their opinions quite respectfully.

It seems like unless you say "Well I don't feel at ALL strange about it" then your opinion isn't respected in return. And it's really not such an odd opinion to have - I think we've all agreed that it is one that is fairly common in the society in which we live.

I'm not saying everyone has to agree, but I can definitely get why there aren't many people admitting to feeling confronted by the image in this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Brilliant!

The image is confronting, but only because society deems it so. Ill BF my babies for as long as i can, im aiming for 2, only because i dont really see the 'need' for a 3yo to receive breastmilk, but im not opposed to bfing a 3yo if that is what happens either. And i wont be hiding behind closed doors to do it either

I think the rise of attachment parenting is a good thing and nothing to be ashamed of. Children arent puppies who have to be trained to sleep all night, for example.

Id never heard of attachment parenting when i had DD 5 years ago. Heck id never even really held a baby before i had DD. I knew nothing. I knew of no society expectations for how babies 'should' be raised. I ended up just doing what came naturally, which in our case was co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing parenting. I didnt even realise it had a label or wasnt the norm in society. Im glad i never realised some people have issues with such things. Ive never once felt bad or guilty or judged for my parenting decisions.

Good on those women and children for going so public in todays culture, and good on time mag for having the balls to publish the story.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't get what's embarrassing about a child sucking ( feeding) on his mothers breast? I fear though its attitudes like yours that encourage people to feel embarrassed? I would be mortified if my son ever associated breast feeding as embarrassing or g-d forbid teased anyone about it

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (12-05-2012),Theophania  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the whole thing could have been done a lot more tastefully.
    It's good she feels proud of this but I really disagree with the "Mum enough", quite belittling to those who can't or chose not to BF.