+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    SO who hasn't been embarassed by old photos with their mum seriously I am not a fan of showboat mums but she comes across as strong, intelligent beyond her years and as very nurturing, I'm sure when he is older he will be proud that his mum looked after his nutritional and emotional needs without bowing into western societal pressure about extended breastfeeding.
    You said it so well lmb

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Hootenanny  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are you kidding? There's a big difference.
    - She put her child in the middle of what she knew would be a controversy
    - chances are the kid might not want this image public when he's older (embarassment factor).
    I do tend to agree with this part. Regardless of what you believe is right or wrong, there does tend to be a bit of a "yuck" factor that some people apply to this picture.

In her shoes, I wouldn't want to put DD in that position. Regardless of any of my personal beliefs, I wouldn't ever want to put DD in a position where she was likely to face ridicule/ a negative reaction.

I'm sure I will do lots of things to embarrass her over the years, but I wouldn't deliberately publish something that I thought had the potential for hurting her.

Having said that, I also wouldn't put DD in for child modelling either.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are you kidding? There's a big difference.
    - She put her child in the middle of what she knew would be a controversy
    - chances are the kid might not want this image public when he's older (embarassment factor).
    But why would he be embarrassed?

Do you think this baby will be embarrassed? ImageUploadedByBub Hub1336788993.290911.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha yes!!! Eating Maccas, of all things...

But, seriously, I think the thing is that a LOT of people (rightly or wrongly) see BF-ing a nearly 4yo as a bit of a 'squeamish' thing, because of b00bs being seen to be s*xual.

Yummy as burgers are, most people don't look at them and see something s*xual... (or maybe that's for another thread...)

Regardless of where I stood on that debate, I wouldn't want to put DD in the middle of it. I wouldn't want people to look at her and have those sorts of reactions.

And the fact is that they do. Regardless of whether any of us think it is right or wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know it's because breasts are seen as sexual objects, people are horrified when they see something they do as a sexual act being done by a child. My point is is that breastfeeding a child is normal, society sees this photo as a threat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This sexual act thing confuses me?? You clean your babies genitals and that is not even close to sexual? Some people have disgusting minds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The boy is quite likely to grow up with a healthy view of breastfeeding tbh with a mum like her. If others bully him over the picture I think the bullies should take responsibility, not her.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (12-05-2012),headoverfeet  (12-05-2012),Theophania  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I know it's because breasts are seen as sexual objects, people are horrified when they see something they do as a sexual act being done by a child. My point is is that breastfeeding a child is normal, society sees this photo as a threat.
    I think the thing is, as the woman in the interview said, BF a child of that age is NOT normal in our society.

Some people on here have already said that they would feel a bit funny about a child of 4 or 5 being BF. The child in the picture was a week off 4, and big for his age. I can understand why the image is confronting.

We just don't see it very often.

I'm really not trying to argue that it is 'wrong' - that's not my opinion at all. I'm just saying that I can understand WHY people feel squeamish about it, as it's not something we generally see.

Personally, I prefer to keep DD out of the public eye (be gone, paparazzi!! ) and this would be particularly true for things that provoke strong negative reactions in people.

Sure, if someone bullied a child/ picked on a kid as a teenager then that would be THEIR issue. Except I wouldn't want to give people extra fodder to use against DD. Kids can be pretty mean at times. Yes, there will always be 'something', but the thought of some of those reactions being levelled against my DD makes me want to cry.

I know not everyone feels like that, but I do agree with the PP who said they wouldn't want that kind of exposure for their kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girl X, bottle feeding a 1 day old baby in our society would probably be as "normal" in terms of how common it is as a mother breastfeeding a 3 year old.

I just wish people could keep their rude opinions to themselves (not you girl x) because the attitudes I've read in the past few days is the exact reason why I was housebound and depressed when DS was a newborn due to my fear of 'exposing' myself in public by breastfeeding, and having to keep it 'secret' from family and friends as to how long I actully breastfed him due to the shame I was forced to feel simply for doing something completely natural and absolutely non-sexual in any way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (12-05-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Benji - I agree the comments along the lines of disgusting etc would be very hurtful to new mothers especially who are struggling to feed in public.

What this photo has revealed is there are a lot of people who have got the idea of women and sexuality so messed up.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-05-2012),twotrunks  (12-05-2012)