+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only reason this magazine cover looks "bad" is cause the child is standing making him look bigger I'm sure if she was nursing her three year old the usual way there wouldn't be such a reaction it's obviously done to provoke reaction by the advertiser namely time magazine, I personally don't see anything wrong with breast feeding a three year old.. And to those saying its disgusting.. I guess hanging a three year old off a cows udder is more natural and preferred? What ever..
    What upsets me the most is the phrase are u mom enough? Basically assuming that people who don't breast feed arnt? Yet again sick American propagander yielding advertising... Glad I don't buy time magazine
    Last edited by bimbie; 12-05-2012 at 08:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissWinter View Post
    I am p!ssed that purely based on the cover I am NOT "mum enough" because I couldn't feed my daughter

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    It's bloody pitiful that there is such crap out there to make women feel like this. Society sucks! All that should matter is the way a child is loved, not the way a child is fed!

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She didn't choose the front cover. Time Magazines editor would have. A million photos would've been taken that day. That cover would've been one of them.

That persons job is to sell magazines - they are not there to promote extended BF, AP or anything else.

It's sad that people are directing the anger towards this woman and her 'pose' and the appearance of her face and not at the media agency controlling the information!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    She didn't choose the front cover. Time Magazines editor would have. A million photos would've been taken that day. That cover would've been one of them.

That persons job is to sell magazines - they are not there to promote extended BF, AP or anything else.

It's sad that people are directing the anger towards this woman and her 'pose' and the appearance of her face and not at the media agency controlling the information!
    This woman went in front of the camera with her boob, toddler and full make up. She knew what she was getting into.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ She sure did Vicpark. She still would not have had the ability to choose that (or any) particular photos for publication - so she probably didn't know the uproar it would cause.

My point is - TIME chose the most provocative photo of the shoot - they control what you need to see.

Believe me, if she didn't wear makeup or get dressed up she would've been vilified too.

I've done a professional photo shoot of me breastfeeding my toddler for public use so I am aware of all that goes behind it and the fact i had no dramatic licence for choice after the fact.

but so many of the previous comments are directing their animosity to the position she's standing in, how her face looks, they are labeling her as sexy.

It's a shame because this is a mother doing something totally normal In a photo styled in a fashion that is appropriate to sell an international magazine.

The photo is not designed to promote extended breastfeeding or feeding at all.
    Last edited by BabushkaMumma; 12-05-2012 at 09:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be interested to read the article and what is projected within.

The image on the front was clearly chosen to spark controversy, and whilst I personally wouldn't bf until that age - they certainly didn't do any justice for those that choose to.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Regardless of whether or not you approve of extended breastfeeding:
    What type of woman allows such a photo of her toddler to be published?

A money Hungry attention seeking mommy with issues. That kid will have to grow up one day and I wonder if he will be pleased that the photo is out there.
    I don't get your hatred for this photo? 'what type of woman' seriously if you don't like it, put a blanket on your head.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here's an interview with the woman in the photo

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/1...-lynne-grumet/

MARTIN SCHOELLER FOR TIME
    Jamie Lynne Grumet, 26, is a proponent of attachment parenting
    Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year-old mother of two in Los Angeles, is on the cover of TIME this week breast-feeding her son Aram, who turns 4 next month. Kate Pickert, the author of the accompanying cover story, “The Man Who Remade Motherhood,” spoke with Grumet about attachment parenting, adoption and breast-feeding, topics Grumet writes about on her blog, I Am Not the Babysitter.

It’s clear from your blog that you’re into attachment parenting. Are you a fan of Dr. Bill Sears?
    He’s great. I’ve read all his books. He has a very gentle spirit, and I find what he’s saying to be nonjudgmental and relevant to what’s happening today and what we’re finding out about some of the issues that are popping up with our children’s health. I feel like he really is doing this because he knows this is best. And the way he does it is graceful and educating rather than condemning.

(PHOTOS: Behind the Cover: Are You Mom Enough?)

How old are your children?
    My adopted son is 5, and my biological son will be 4 next month.

Tell me about becoming a mom and breast-feeding your children.
    We were starting the process of adoption when I got pregnant. We weren’t expecting our biological son at all. He was born two months early, and preemies that age don’t have a sucking reflex. The nurses in the NICU [neonatal intensive care unit] — they kept trying to put him on formula. I couldn’t see him for three days because I was so sick. I was basically passed out from the medication they were giving me. My husband is so great — he would bring the equipment in and actually do the pumping while I was asleep. It was a full family effort. My mother breast-fed me until I was 6 years old, until I self-weaned. Her encouragement to breast-feed is why we were so successful.

And your adopted son?
    We were able to bring our son home in November 2010. I know so many amazing women who have induced their lactation, but I had milk [from feeding my biological son]. I had one of the easier situations as far as adoptive breast-feeding is concerned, but it was considered extended breast-feeding. And it was transracial. And he was adopted. I was ready for attack as soon as I posted one of the pictures [on my blog].

Being able to give him that [comfort] with the trauma that he faced was really, really important to me. But I didn’t realize how much it would help my attachment to him. When his English improved, because the connection was there, he didn’t do it as much. So now he’ll do it maybe once a month.

Why did your mom breast-feed you for so long?
    She wasn’t a hippie. Everyone thinks she must have been because we lived in Northern California. My dad did go to Berkeley, but he was a nutritional scientist. He got his master’s there and his Ph.D. My parents were really into nutrition, that’s why.

Do you remember breast-feeding?
    Yes.

What’s that memory like?
    It’s really warm. It’s like embracing your mother, like a hug. You feel comforted, nurtured and really, really loved. I had so much self-confidence as a child, and I know it’s from that. I never felt like she would ever leave me. I felt that security.

Extended breast-feeding is one of those attachment-parenting things that can be really challenging for moms who work. Are you a stay-at-home mom?
    I stay at home. I blog from home. And I homeschool. I think if [attachment parenting] is working for a family, that’s what should matter. If it’s too hard on the parents, it’s in vain if there’s an emptiness about how they’re living their life.

What do you say to people who say breast-feeding a 3-year-old is disturbing or wrong?
    They are people who tell me they’re going to call social services on me or that it’s child molestation. I really don’t think I can reason with those people. But as far as someone who says they’re uncomfortable with this, I don’t think it’s wrong to admit this. But people have to realize this is biologically normal. It’s not socially normal. The more people see it, the more it’ll become normal in our culture. That’s what I’m hoping. I want people to see it.

There seems to be a war going on between conventional parenting and attachment parenting, and that’s what I want to avoid. I want everyone to be encouraging. We’re not on opposing teams. We all need to be encouraging to each other, and I don’t think we’re doing a very good job at that.

Here is another photo for the shoot https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the way this image was intended by the photographer, it led me to associate with David Walliams character on little Britain ... 'bitty?'

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012),SeymourTheBear  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why this woman is being vilified. She breastfed on the cover of a magazine whilst wearing make up? I see more boobs on the cover of zoo.

This whole thing has done me a massive favour. I deleted a few friends from facebook and from my life and I feel much better today. If people think mothers like me are
    - freaks
    - weird
    - creepy
    - can't let go

Then they can p!ss off. They probably wouldn't want me in their life anyway

I asked DP what he thought of the photo and he shrugged and said he felt indifferent *phew*

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (12-05-2012),Etienne  (12-05-2012),Hootenanny  (12-05-2012),Littlemissmetal  (12-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (12-05-2012)