+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Ok, I have a good friend who's breastfeeding her 2yo and is having a problem with deciding whether to go on or not. She isn't doing it for nutrition anymore. She's doing it for comfort. On one side she wants to stop because its exhausting for her, on the other hand she wants to continue because it is the only way he goes to sleep.
    This makes me wonder how many mums who breastfeed beyond the age of 2, do it for nutritional benefits, or to get some peace and quiet at night?
    I would ask the same for a formula fed 2yo though, but this thread is about breastfeeding.

IF mums breastfeed beyond 2 just to get some peace and quiet, then no, I do not agree with it and find it even a little selfish.
    IF they do it for nutritional/health benefits, then I'm all for it.

However, at what age do you draw the line? When do you decide that cows/goat milk, veggies, fruit and/or meat will be sufficient to take over the fulltime support of your growing child?

I breastfed til 14 months and he weaned himself unvoluntarely as he got very sick. Looking at him now at the age of 29 months, he weighs a whopping 20kg and is 112cm tall. I can't even try to imagine having such a huge child hanging on my cup B breast Major ouch! I would feel incredibly uncomfortable with it, regardless if it is the best thing for his health or not.
    Yet this is my personal opinion and I am sure people will disagree with it.

Oh and the 1st cover photo did make me uncomfortable. The child looks much older than 3. Surely they could've found a more normal sized 3yo for a photo like this
    The second photo is ok. It's a more snuggled in and attached pose.
    With the highlighted, as someone who breastfed a 3 year old I did look at that and think how unusual it looked, I don't know if it was the pose or the size of the child. But I think that was the point of the photo.

You (and others) talk about nutritional benefits but it is so much more than that, there is great emotional benefits with it too and when you have had a busy day and you snuggle with your child for a feed it becomes all about them for just a moment. I actually feel a bit sad for them when they lose those moments, for them, not for the peace and quiet. Funnily enough I never really needed the peace and quiet as I had a very calm peaceful child most of the time anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    That is revolting.

edit: i mean the photo, I didn't bother reading the article, in a rush
    Why is it revolting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I understand the snuggles bit, but it doesn't all just stop when you stop breastfeeding though.

In the morning when DS wakes up, we have snuggles and cuddles when he has his cup of tea on my lap. In the afternoon we have snuggles and cuddles before naptime and at night I get at least half an hour of snuggles and cuddles when we've had a shower, dinner and are just listening to some quiet music together before I read a story and he goes to bed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Ok I understand the snuggles bit, but it doesn't all just stop when you stop breastfeeding though.

In the morning when DS wakes up, we have snuggles and cuddles when he has his cup of tea on my lap. In the afternoon we have snuggles and cuddles before naptime and at night I get at least half an hour of snuggles and cuddles when we've had a shower, dinner and are just listening to some quiet music together before I read a story and he goes to bed.
    So do we but it's just not the same

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    I'm genuinely wondering if it's the breast part that grosses people out? Would expressing into a cup be less gross? Because you know normal cows milk comes from a cows boobs right?
    Most people conveniently forget this

Thanks
    Reviews
    The article is about BFing, not expressing & giving the child milk to drink (which I guess is the equivalent to getting cow's milk). For me it's about the actual feeding from the breast, not the fact that the child is drinking breast milk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (11-05-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    So to the people that don't find breasts sexual do you involve them when having sexual relations with your partners? Or are they purely BF? Not trying to offend, just wondering.
    I don't think you can necessarily separate them , much as some men would like to. It is a natural biological imperative to procreate and breasts nurture the offspring - it is all connected, but it has just been manipulated and distorted so that consumers of adult imagery can disregard the unsexy parts and the female form can be used as a commodity....but that is a whole other thread.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lovin Pinky's response.. http://myemail.constantcontact.com/A...id=zlWAB7F1cTY

I'll admit this is one feeding position that I've never done, not with a 3 year old anyway, it's much more comfortable to have them lay on the couch with just their head in your lap

I really think this falls into the basket along with things like gay marriage and home birthing..don't want to do it, simple- don't

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    So to the people that don't find breasts sexual do you involve them when having sexual relations with your partners? Or are they purely BF? Not trying to offend, just wondering.
    I do find them sexual and we do include them in foreplay/sex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    What Pinky said - for the non clickers.

I have been doing media interviews all day today. The media is in a frenzy about the provocative cover of 'Time Magazine' with a photo of a three year old breastfeeding. I rarely watch morning TV but was quite astounded that the celebrity comments this morning were very biased: for example, celebrity opinion is that the mother has 'issues' about letting go if she practises 'attachment parenting' - co-sleeping, baby wearng and, especially, breastfeeding a toddler - one year seemed the 'acceptable breastfeeding age' on the Today Show. After that, the mother is supposedly 'hanging on' to the child. One of the guest commentators even talked about how one of her friends almost had orgasms while she breastfed it was so pleasurable. Then theysuggested that it could be harmful because' how will those children grow up?'

Thankfully there was a much more balanced discussion on the Morning show, with Cam, the male host and a father, suggesting many people arent breastfeeding long enough.

My 'beef' is actually with the cover headline 'Are you Mom enough?" While my reaction to the photo was just 'wow! he's a big boy for three,' I was more stunned by the headline and how once again this is a media stunt that pits mums against each other. I always hated the saying 'a good enough mother' - who the hell defines what 'enough' is? We are all 'enough' for our kids, just the way we are. None of us sets out to be less than 'enough' even though some days we fall short of our own ideals and those of various 'experts' ( this means anyone who claims to know more about YOUR child than you do). It's this self judgement and the judgement of others that is destructive to our self - esteem as mothers. We need to be strong to stay true to ourselves and our little ones and when we can do this, we can nurture with confidence - and this is what makes us 'good enough' , not some ridiculous standards bar defined by anyone who wants to add their two bobs worth about what we 'should' be doing.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (12-05-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (12-05-2012)