+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stopping breastfeeding a toddler

DS1 is 2 years old and a bit (28 months old), and I'm thinking about stopping the breastfeeding :-(

I love it, and it's only twice a day, but with his eczema it makes it much harder to pinpoint his triggers because it's what we both consume. I've been on one sort of elimination diet or another since he was 2 months old and it's getting very very hard...

So I'm thinking about stopping all together, and would love to hear from other mums who weaned a toddler. He loves breastfeeding, and to make matters more difficult, there's his 2 months old baby brother who's on my b00b every couple of hours.

How do I do it gently????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this is going to helpful at all to you since you have a another little one. The way I weaned my then 17mo DS was going away for the weekend. DS was left with milk and formula. When I came back and he tried to pull at my top I just gently removed his hand and told him that the boobies had gone away then I offered milk or water. He cried for about a week but then got the hint. I still get the odd hand down my top but he doesn't try to have a drink anymore.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried talking to him?

Telling him he's a big boy now, etc etc boobie is just for the baby? (obviously this is not 'true' but he won't know that)

Obviously he is probably aware of his skin condition? Is it sore? Itchy? Maybe tell him that 'the doctor said' he might get 'better' if he doesn't have boob for a bit. You can always give it a week and see if it improves at all?

Is there anything he loves or wants right now? Something like a 'big boy' toy? Maybe a tricycle or bicycle? Tell him that when he is a big boy and no longer needs boob he can have a, b, c?

At 28 months I think getting him to decide is probably a big factor.

I won't recommend just telling him 'no' without a reason especially since he's going to see you feeding his sibling. It would be very upsetting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWhiteKnight For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (11-05-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe start with cutting one feed first. Pick which one you would like to change and commit yourself a day to start.

So, you need to replace it with something else..so maybe if it's a morning feed, say, we have breakfast now instead of milk. For the morning feed, I distracted my toddler by saying you can have milk after breakfast over and over again for a good week or so and she forgot about it by the time I went through the feeds etc. eventually she didn't even really notice that I was feeding her sister - like it didn't affect her anymore..

I still feed to sleep for a nap if she has one and for bed, and I'm ok with that - but for you I understand you will need to do both - so maybe one feed one week and the other when that's been forgotten?

And explain..over and over lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I cut out the morning feed yesterday and he was upset and then asked for milk all day (which he never really does). I tried telling him that he's a big boy and doesn't need milk in the morning/day anymore but he didn't care for that explanation... I gave him some oats milk and he just wanted more and more.

He was very happy about the night feed and drank more than ever.

This morning it was the same, but I just felt wrong... That he's not ready yet, so I ended up giving him milk. Looks like I'll have to stick to those diets for longer because I don't think he's ready to stop and it's too hard with his little brother breastfeeding all day long :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am in a kinda similar position. DD is 25 months and DS is almost 4 months. I am ready for DD to stop breastfeeding but i don't think she is. I encouraged her to cut down to 2-3 feeds / day during the pregnancy and we have continued this after DS was born.

Her first feed is after bfast, the second is after lunch ( feed her to sleep for a nap) and the 3rd at night before bed (but she doesn't feed to sleep at this one).

If we are out, she may miss the feed. But she seems to get really emotional if she doesn't get the feed, it's not hunger, it's like she recharges when she has a feed and without it her emotions are all over theplace.

How can i fill this emotional need without feeding? Cuddles from me don't cut it because she wants the feed. She won't nap during the day without a bfeed unless we are in the car for a long drive and the planets are in alignment.

Sorry i don't have answers - just more questions but wanted to let you know you are not alone too.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    Thanks. I cut out the morning feed yesterday and he was upset and then asked for milk all day (which he never really does). I tried telling him that he's a big boy and doesn't need milk in the morning/day anymore but he didn't care for that explanation... I gave him some oats milk and he just wanted more and more.

He was very happy about the night feed and drank more than ever.

This morning it was the same, but I just felt wrong... That he's not ready yet, so I ended up giving him milk. Looks like I'll have to stick to those diets for longer because I don't think he's ready to stop and it's too hard with his little brother breastfeeding all day long :-(
    It has only been one day. It took me months to night wean my totally understanding 2 year old. Every time I gave in, it set us back a bit.

And they will up the ante as well. My toddler hasn't had milk in the morning for months. Doesn't stop her asking for it the moment she wakes up.

So he drank a heap of oats milk? Mine did the same, with rice milk, then has dropped back as my milk supply has gone up.