+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 month old hardly sleeps during the day

My DS sleeps a maximum of 1.5 hours during the day split into 3 sleeps which are only 20-30 minutes. Its been like this for ages. He is easy to get to sleep and generally sleeps through the night but I just can't figure out how to get him to sleep longer during the day. I have friends say theirs do 2 hour stints a couple of times a day. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How do you get him to sleep for naps?

What I do with my little catnapper is to go in when I know she's about to wake up. I take a book with me or do some folding. When she starts to stir I then either pat or feed her back to sleep. This works about half the time to get her to sleep past one sleep cycle.

Elizabeth Pantley's no cry nap solution has some good tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found keeping DD awake for longer helps. I had a cat napper but when she got to about 5 months I started keeping her awake for 3 hours before a nap and now she (usually) lasts much longer. At first she was hard to drag out, always getting really grumpy at the 1.5hr awake mark, but we pushed her through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 1/2 month old sleeps 2 x 2 hour sleeps, and 1 x 1 hour nap in the afternoon. I use to 2 hour rule. 2 hours awake, 2 hours sleep. I keep my LO's room VERY dark, and if i see him stiring on the baby monitor after an hour, i will go in and put my hand through the cot and pat him in a heart beat pattern so he can transition nicely into another sleep cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same problem with catnapping, although my DD has more naps throughout the day.

I'm reading a book called babybliss, basically it recommends the same advice as above - try to resettle and get them into the next sleep cycle when they stir. It also recommends leaving them in the cot for the time that they should be asleep. You should only have to do this for a few days or a week before they get the hang of it.....anyway I've only just started it this week and had a 1.5 hour sleep yesterday...fingers crossed for more today.

Good luck

Sent from my LT15i

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    How do you get him to sleep for naps?

What I do with my little catnapper is to go in when I know she's about to wake up. I take a book with me or do some folding. When she starts to stir I then either pat or feed her back to sleep. This works about half the time to get her to sleep past one sleep cycle.

Elizabeth Pantley's no cry nap solution has some good tips.
    He usually either just falls asleep or if I can see him getting tired I cuddle and pat him and he'll fall asleep or i can put him in the cot with nature sounds on and he'll drift off.

Think I might try what everyone's saying and try leaving him in the cot and patting or cuddling him back to sleep. I have tried this with no success but I think I have to try it for longer. When he wakes up he's usually wide awake and smiling and moving about so getting him back to sleep has been hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by avenew05 View Post
    He usually either just falls asleep or if I can see him getting tired I cuddle and pat him and he'll fall asleep or i can put him in the cot with nature sounds on and he'll drift off.

Think I might try what everyone's saying and try leaving him in the cot and patting or cuddling him back to sleep. I have tried this with no success but I think I have to try it for longer. When he wakes up he's usually wide awake and smiling and moving about so getting him back to sleep has been hard.
    My DD is the same to a T! If you don't mind please keep us posted on how you go with this as I'm the same tried before for a couple of days but no such luck.
    I wonder if they ever grow out of it? 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's an update...still a catnapper! I try patting him, cuddling and rocking him, taking him for a walk and he does not last. I just can't get him to sleep much during the day. I thought him being in solids and the save our sleep routine for feeding but he just won't sleep. It's driving me crazy. Sometimes he is relatively happy but gosh, he's a few days shy of 6 months and I'm sure he needs this sleep!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My now 7 month old started catnapping from about 5 months, and showing no signs of changing her habits any time soon! We have been to sleep school twice and tried lots of different methods but she seems to only need short sleeps during the day. It's a pain but I'm gradually having to accept that it's just who she is and I don't think I can change it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I couldn't change DS catnapping despite many many attempts. Around 8 months he started having 2x2 hour sleeps during the day.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub