+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks again everyone - DS was born 3.5kg and is now 3.2kg however he has put on 15g in the last week. The nurse said the recommended weight gain is 15g per day.

He is having plenty of wet nappies and is now settling well and seems alert when awake.

Just another question is it true that some womens milk lacks sufficient nutrients?

I am absolutely exhausted from feeding and pumping but am going to persevere if he shows a weight gain, any gain is a plus I think..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry - hubby and I are both slim builds. And I am now feeding from both breasts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Feeding from both sides will help. If bub is getting tired or frustrated you can do breast compressions to help keep him interested.

My first suggestion to these mums is to learn how to do breast compressions. My third bubba was born 4 weeks early via caesarean and I compressed and compressed and compressed that milk into him 2-hourly until one day he just woke up and ‘got it’ and I let him take the lead from then on. The trick is to do the compression, which is as easy as taking a handful of breast tissue and squeezing, or even just massaging downward on the full, cleavage part of the breast with the flat of your hand, when the baby stops sucking and starts nodding off. Once they start sucking again, stop the compressions. You may only get another four sucks before you have to do another. Keep going until they are so zonked they don’t respond. Then it’s time to change the nappy and change sides, and start again (and again and again and again, back and forth four times is good).
    Breastfeeding often (every 2 hours during the day) and doing breast compressions can often be better than pumping and feeding ebm. Easier on you and baby and you don't have to worry about weaning off top-ups later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

laurea  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby feeds every 3 hours but i think with newborns the standard is every 4 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know how you feel - DD struggled to gain weight and still does. It took her about 4 months to gain 1kg and now at 9mo she's barely 7kg. I had all kinds of issues with supply, latching and food intolerances. I ended up stopping BFing at 13 weeks but I'll do a lot of things differently next time. Just keep feeding as much as possible and work with the LC to get your supply and attachment on track.

Above all, try not to focus too much on the weight. Some gain is always good, regardless of how much. Look at the bigger picture - is bub settled and generally content, hitting other milestones (might be a tad early for that just yet), having the heavy wet nappies, a good colour and alert?

I'm sure you're doing a great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am bf 2 hourly and also pumping whats left over. I am doing breast compressions because the problem was an inadequate suck and swallow (there was no swallow so no milk transfer)

So after the hard work and my eyes are hanging out of my head DS gained 60g in 24 hours so I am really happy with that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost back to birth weight and DS is just three weeks old! Its such a different experience from my first bub! First bub was really chubby and packed on the weight (formula fed)
    Am very tired from feed, feed, feed and pumping though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You're doing great!! It is exhausting though isn't it. I spent weeks demand feeding and then pumping between each feed, day and night. Breastfeeding can be incredibly hard work but worth it when it pays off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done! It's so hard but will be worth it in the end. Boob fixes everything and u'll soon have a happy little bub around the clock ...and things will be smooth sailing for u too soon... Hang in there