+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding newborn

I have an 11 day old bub who is BF, how often should I be feeding bub? I know it is recommended 8-12 feeds per day, bub averaged 9-10 feeds last couple of days & today 7 feeds so far...but bub went 6 hours between feeds last night and today, should I be concerned?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As long as hub is having wet nappies regularly and has no jaundice or other health issues, my philosophy is never wake a sleeping baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One 6 hour period in 24 hours without a feed is fine. If bub was having more than one long stretch without a feed, i would probably wake them.

When they are little, i just feed whenever bub is alert really.

You can always ring the ABA if you have questions 1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 2 686)

Congrats on your baby!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On demand and whenever they are alert. As long as the baby is steadily gaining weight ur fine. I agree to let the sleeping bub sleep if you feel she's had regular feeds early on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

peanuthead  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp. If bubs is only going 6 hrs once a day then let that go (Ihope for your sake it's at night ) but any more often than that I'd just be feeding him/her anyway for your supply. Good luck and congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 week old has been sleeping a 6 or so hour stretch over night since birth. She makes up for it by cluster feeding in the mornings. I just offer her the breast whenever she seems hungry. Some days it feels as though she's feeding all day long. Other days she'll sleep most of the day with not as many feeds. She's put on over 1.5kg so far and is up in the 75th percentile so I wasn't worried. As long as bubs is putting on weight and having those 6-8 wet and dirty nappies and seems happy and content then I wouldn't wake baby up. Enjoy the extra sleep!
    Last edited by inertia; 11-05-2012 at 03:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I agree with all the rest. I was told earlier on( first time mum to a 5 month old) as long as bub has 6 to 8 wet nappies and putting on weight, it should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - DS is definately putting on weight and has no health problems so I really didnt want to wake him! But the 6 hour may have been a one-off as I had a wakeful night with him. I forgot how tired you actually get lol!
    Am new to bf so its all a learning curve for me.
    When should I expect my supply and a routine to be established? I know DS is far too young for a routine but am curious to know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    By 6 weeks I think everything should be well in place.. As for routine... lol.. If u want to go with the recommended demand feeding.. u can have some form of routine at 3 months.... I just went with the flow and never expected routine so wasn't upset by not having it.. By about the 3 month mark you know that once you've fed bub u have a couple of hours to do what u needed to do til the next feed. So that's routine I guess gud luck with it... It's the most beautiful journey you can have with ur bub IMO... Enjoy it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so am devastated today to find out DS has not put enough weight on ;( have had the lactation consultant here today to help me out & try to reestablish my supply...fingers crossed he weighs in heavier tomorrow