+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default School Kids Bonus and ETR

Hi,
    Now that the school kids bonus has passed the senate, I was wondering what happens to the Education tax refund? If parents are paid from July and those payments happen twice a year, then that first payment would be for the second half of this years school expenses. So that would mean we can sill claim last financial years (11/12) education costs wouldn't it? Confusing. I understand the school kids bonus replaces the ETR from 2013, but what happens July 1st this year? Can we still claim ETR?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From my understanding, no, the Education Tax Refund is gone and can't be claimed in tax returns for 2011-2012. To compensate for this, 'eligible' families will receive a lump sum payment of the full ETR amount in June 2012. I believe you are 'eligible' if you receive family tax A.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Stardust75  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yea I am so confused by it all??

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you get family tax A for primary kids you will get $410 and $820 for high school children it is been payed in June and thats is for the 2011-2012 year it would of been the ETR which we would of claimed in July the ETR has been replaced with a payment twice a year first in January 2013 and nextin July 2013 which then we will receive half of the payemt each time . So if you have one primary child and 1 high school in June you receive $1230 and in January you will receive $615 hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Miss Muppet.

Mum11, I understand that, and didn't need figures, I was just asking whether the 2011-12 ETR is still payed.

I wasn't sure when the School kids bonus actually kicked in, if it was for the past financial year, or if it was for the next one. I now know its for 2011-12.

If the school kids bonus covers what would have previously been ETR for 2011-12 then what happens to the rest of the year? I was under the impression that the school kids bonus in January was to cover the costs for returning to school (thats what Gillard said anyway). But it would actually be for the second half of 2012, not for the first half of 2013.

That's where it confused me.

This was the first year parents were able to claim uniforms, so the amounts that could be claimed would have been higher anyhow. I had 2 computers, books, internet etc etc and would have been entitled to the full amount.

Of course it's wonderful it's there for the start of school and I appreciate every cent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is kindy considered primary school??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Star dust even though we were supposed to be able to claim uniforms this year, you were still capped at the rebate you would receive anyway from ETR .
    Is your little one in kindy mummag. as in kindergarten first yr of school at a public school ? If so then yes, if it is kindy as in the year before starting school (like c & k up here in qld) then no it us not counted as far as I know

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=mumof3monkeys;6558721]Star dust even though we were supposed to be able to claim uniforms this year, you were still capped at the rebate you would receive anyway from ETR .
    [\QUOTE]

Yes, I realise that it was capped, I have 4 kids, three are in their teens. I have claimed it before and know how it worked in its previous form.

Prep is the first year of school, and that would make the child eligible. Kindy is pre-school and doesn't count unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought people would like to know the dates
    http://families.fahcsia.gov.au/schoolkids-bonus