+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Count me in too! I don't have any scales so don't know how much I weigh, but am guessing I want to loose about 10kgs. My jeans from last winter are too tight and I have a fat roll around my middle I'd like to get rid of! I have measured around my waist and thighs and use that as a guide for how much I have lost.

I have been watching what I eat for the past 2 weeks and have lost 2cm around my middle - which is a good incentive to keep going!

My trouble has always been snacking, if there are biscuits in the house I'll eat them, after dinner when the kids have gone to bed is when I'm at my worst - usually have a chocolate and whatever else I can find!

The past couple of weeks I have limited myself to;

breakfast - a bowl of porridge & cup of tea

midmorning - apple & banana

lunch - protein shake/drink "thingy" started with a packet of opti-slim sachets and have now got a container of protein powder. Plan to use up this container and then go back to having a salad roll for lunch - just wanted to give myself a kick start. I actually find they do seem to help with the hunger cravings - hate to think what is actually in it!

mid-afternoon - weight watchers fruit bar or form no-fat yoghurt (only one not both!)

dinner - whatever we are having with extra vege for me & less meat

after dinner - fruit, apple, banana, or orange or tub of forme no-fat yoghurt

I have brought myself a 750ml water bottle and whenever I feel like snacking on something I have a drink. Have been really good with the water and am filling it up about 3 or 4 times a day (seem to spend all day going to the loo!). Have never been a big drinker - usually a couple of cups of tea during the day and water with my evening meal.

I am busy with the kids various activities & work 3 days a week so I don't have much time to exercise. On the weekends I go for a 30 minute walk each day and on weekdays I have been trying to fit in 2 x 10 minutes of step ups. We have a solid plastic step that the kids use to reach the kitchen bench and I use this to do the step ups on. Can be done in front of the telly at night which is good!

Anyway that's me so far! Usually I have no willpower and have always been able to snack and get away with it but it is now catching up with me so this is he first time I've ever had to stop myself and watch what I eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The biggest thing I've learned - lapband or not - protein is the most important. It'll keep you fuller for longer. You don't have to have protein shakes to get protein if that's what you choose but Optislim etc works very well. Tony Ferguson works well too. You can get significant amounts of protein with normal food. If you have a google there's home made protein bars, cookies, etc. Frittata with veg is good. As are scrambled or boiled eggs but go easy on yolk and no additives!! My diet involves only eating one cup of food per meal and I have to make proper choices because due to the limited amount I can consume I have to make every bite count! Dinner - protein is good with steamed or stir fry veg. I have some AMAZING recipes for dinners after spending a good few hours searching. I meal plan/shop so it eliminates crap in cupboard and fridge. And if you're cooking for a family, one of the best meats you can get is turkey mince - I got 500gm on special for $2 recently and froze it straight away but I think it's cheaper than beef mince normally! You can substitute it in mince dishes, it's high in iron, lower in fat and inexpensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    Count me in too! I don't have any scales so don't know how much I weigh, but am guessing I want to loose about 10kgs. My jeans from last winter are too tight and I have a fat roll around my middle I'd like to get rid of! I have measured around my waist and thighs and use that as a guide for how much I have lost.

I have been watching what I eat for the past 2 weeks and have lost 2cm around my middle - which is a good incentive to keep going!

My trouble has always been snacking, if there are biscuits in the house I'll eat them, after dinner when the kids have gone to bed is when I'm at my worst - usually have a chocolate and whatever else I can find!

lunch - protein shake/drink "thingy" started with a packet of opti-slim sachets and have now got a container of protein powder. Plan to use up this container and then go back to having a salad roll for lunch - just wanted to give myself a kick start. I actually find they do seem to help with the hunger cravings - hate to think what is actually in it!

mid-afternoon - weight watchers fruit bar or form no-fat yoghurt (only one not both!)

I have brought myself a 750ml water bottle and whenever I feel like snacking on something I have a drink. Have been really good with the water and am filling it up about 3 or 4 times a day (seem to spend all day going to the loo!). Have never been a big drinker - usually a couple of cups of tea during the day and water with my evening meal.

I am busy with the kids various activities & work 3 days a week so I don't have much time to exercise. On the weekends I go for a 30 minute walk each day and on weekdays I have been trying to fit in 2 x 10 minutes of step ups. We have a solid plastic step that the kids use to reach the kitchen bench and I use this to do the step ups on. Can be done in front of the telly at night which is good!

Anyway that's me so far! Usually I have no willpower and have always been able to snack and get away with it but it is now catching up with me so this is he first time I've ever had to stop myself and watch what I eat.
    Spotty, you're on the right track!! Persist with some exercise and you'll get there relatively quickly!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

SpottySocks  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some good tips here.

I'm also breastfeeding so I need to go slow and steady as I don't want to compromise my supply - as it is on the lower side anyway. I am not at all keen on the protein shakes or meal replacements as most contain soy (oestrogen -forming and highly processed).

My plans;

- walk a min of 45 mins daily
    - resistance training
    - eat every three hours, with emphasis on protein at meals and for snacks
    - whole foods only (avoid all processed)
    - no carbs for dinner ( the hardest for me as I am starving with BF and can't avoid the rice!!!)

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey Spotty! I agree with a pp - protein is key. If you can, try to get it every time you eat. An egg on toast for brekky, an apple & small handful of almonds for a snack etc. I think you're having a bit too much fruit too - better to get your vitamins & minerals from veggies which have not nearly as much sugar. Eat non-starchy veg like its going out of fashion - massive salads, huge portions of steamed broc, cauli & beans. It will pump you full of great stuff & fill you up, good for fibre too! I always advise my clients to steer clear of muesli & fruit bars too if possible - a good replacement is those little cheese & biscuit packs - on-the-go, get the light version. Good luck, this is gonna be a great thread full of yummy mummies!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (11-05-2012),CamD  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You should get some protein in every meal whether you're trying to lose weight or not. It's all about balance. The key to my Weightloss after my first baby was making sure my energy intake was lower then my output.

Soluble fibre will actually make you feel fuller for longer, it absorbs up to 10 times it's weight in digestive juices and water and takes a longer time to pass through the intestine making you feel fuller longer.

Went to the gym this afternoon, I'm up to week 4 of the c25k program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the all suggestions. Would love to hear what others are eating throughout the day.

Have cut back on the fruit and brought a big bag of almonds from the wholefoods shop!

Really find the porridge for breakfast fills me up and makes the day much easier - plus it is quick and easy to make in the microwave.

Have also been cutting back on the opti-slim/protein drinks. Yesterday I had 4 vita-wheat biscuits, 2 slices of low fat cheese and a small tin of tuna (in brine not oil) for lunch. Mid afternoon I had a yoghurt and handful of almonds. Tea was 2 small slices of homemade pizza and a big bowl of salad. Usually I find I'm hungry by about 8pm but last night it wasn't an issue - didn't even think about needing a snack.

Also managed to sneak off for 45 minutes by myself and go for a decent walk.

Thinking I might have to get myself some scales. It would be nice to know how I am doing. Spotlight catalogue had them for around $15 so might grab a set on the way home from work tomorrow.

becandabub - why do you advise staying away from muesli and fruit bars?
    Last edited by SpottySocks; 13-05-2012 at 17:01. Reason: Can't spell!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    becandabub - why do you advise staying away from muesli and fruit bars?
    Awesome work, you are doing so well!! I am not a fan because they tend to be full of sugar - muesli bars stick together with sugar. They're also so heavily processed that their nutritional value is fairly low. So you're much better off snacking on whole foods - almonds are great to add protein, good fats & vitamin e for example. But be careful on serving size of nuts - very easy to over eat the tasty little buggers!!

Well done again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got the Commando No Excuses book so when we get paid again I'll be going shopping and following that diet.

I went to the gym today, week 4 day 3 of the c25k.

I've weighed myself and I'm 63kg so only 5 to go!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Ive just read this thread and am feeling inspired by all of your motivation ladies- do you mind if I join too? I need to be accountable!
    My first goal is 5kgs and I'd be totally stoked with that. After awhile I'd love to loose another 2kgs which would put me a pre baby weight.
    I hit the scales at 65kgs the other day, which is awful since Ive put on 3 kgs since April

14. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (18-05-2012)