+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help bfing and returning to work

Morning ladies,

I'm at my wits end at the moment and stressed out over getting Dd2 (3.5mths) to take a bottle.

I love breast feeding and am pretty proud that I've done it this time and have continued however right at this point in time I need a break of a few hours plus I am returning to work soon so need to get this sorted.

I am beginning to resent bfing because I constantly have a baby attached to my boob or needing a huge amount of attention for the most part of the day which is affecting Dd1.

It may sound horrible but I need just a few hrs where I can drop both kids off to my mums and go shopping or have a coffee or come home and sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

We have tried avent bottles with fast and slow teats, mam bottles with different flows, medela calma, generic teat to go with medela bottles, someone else feeding while I'm having a shower, me feeding it, distraction, doing it while she's happy, waiting till she's hungry. Im running out of ideas

When she gets upset I make sure i distract her for a while before offering boob so she doesn't make that connection of bottle refusal = boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tired the cheaper bottles and teats that you can buy from Woolworth's or Coles my eldest son only liked them hang in there and be persistent with offer the bottle over the boob

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried the bottles you listed plus tommee tippee brand. The only one my DD will take is a slim neck pigeon bottle and the peristaltic teat. Someone on bubhub recommended it to me and I haven't looked back.

At first DD will fuss sometimes for up to 10 minutes but she eventually takes it. I have to express at least one bottle a day as her bed time feed is in her cot with a bottle. Only way I could get her to fall asleep in there.

Good luck with it
    Last edited by Mrs E; 10-05-2012 at 15:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD would never take a bottle from me but if I wasnt around for a while... then it was ok.

Try just leaving your bub with your mum and going down the street for a walk/shops but within a 5min drive. you can come back if there is an issue but your bub is rejecting the bottle cos you are near... but when you are not its probably just a food source.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had any success getting DD to take a bottle but a lot of people tell me it needs to be given by somebody else besides Mum. In fact it helps if mum leaves the house so they cant smell you. Might be worth trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone.

i went and bought the pigeon and TT bottles today and no luck.

DH tried EBM and formula and tried for about an hour with no luck.

she eventually fell asleep so he put her in bed but woke 10 mins later coz she was still hungry. i couldnt do it to her anymore and gave her boob.

I feel horrible she just looked at me with a pleading look.

I went into DD's room and read her stories and put her to bed while all that was happening...

will keep trying. Otherwise mgiht have to try sippy/cup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmamo View Post
    thanks everyone.

i went and bought the pigeon and TT bottles today and no luck.

DH tried EBM and formula and tried for about an hour with no luck.

she eventually fell asleep so he put her in bed but woke 10 mins later coz she was still hungry. i couldnt do it to her anymore and gave her boob.

I feel horrible she just looked at me with a pleading look.

I went into DD's room and read her stories and put her to bed while all that was happening...

will keep trying. Otherwise mgiht have to try sippy/cup
    I don't mean this to sound rude but babies are kind of like puppies.
    If they can smell their mum, they will instinctively try to get to her.

Did you try leaving the room?

Otherwise we had to use a syringe to feed DS till he realised what was going on and took the bottle

Good luck

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes try leaving the house completely. We managed to get DS to take a bottle if I left the house before he woke from a nap and DP would give him a bottle. Lucky for us we had a coffee shop round the corner, so if it failed I could just come right back. It took a few goes, but it worked. But even then he wouldn't take it every time.

How long till you go back to work? If you can hold off till she is happy eating solids, what I ended up doing was making porridge/cereal with EBM so he was still getting a fair amount of milk, even though he wouldn't always drink from a bottle.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unfortunately some babies are just that way my 11 month is won't take any bottle or teat lol start teaching her to use a sippy cup and don't worry so much she and her carer will find their own way of feeding and settling without you, it will be okay and you can still bf if you wNt
    Sent from my HTC Desire IS using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes try leaving the house completely. We managed to get DS to take a bottle if I left the house before he woke from a nap and DP would give him a bottle. Lucky for us we had a coffee shop round the corner, so if it failed I could just come right back. It took a few goes, but it worked. But even then he wouldn't take it every time.

How long till you go back to work? If you can hold off till she is happy eating solids, what I ended up doing was making porridge/cereal with EBM so he was still getting a fair amount of milk, even though he wouldn't always drink from a bottle.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Yes. Leave the house. Bub can sense when mum is around.