+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Don't remember having growing pains so young!

Hi guys, my 4 year old seems to be waking with growing pains... He cries and cries. I had them as a child and they do hurt.. ALOT!

Anyone else's kids start having them so young?

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son has had some leg pains a couple of times since he turned 3. I could only attribute it to growing pains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew had some really bad pains in his leg a few weeks back, it kept giving way to him, and he kept limping around, almost as if he had a cramp in his calf. I mentioned to my sister in law that I thought it was growing pains too. It fixed its self after a few days

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 was about that age when she started getting them. Well, that's what we and our Dr thought it was.

They went away after a while but when I mentioned them to our Dr again last year as she had been having them again he said there had been some developments and sometimes what seems like growing pains actually isn't.

He said what seems like growing pains can be something he called restless legs which is because of low iron levels. Especially in kids like my DD2 who are fussy eaters.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Started for us around that age too. Poor lil things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have only had one with really bad growing pains. Hers started at 2 and she had off and on for a few years. We got a rubbing cream from the chemist worked the best. I can't remember the name right now, I will come back when I remember it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 (18yo) has suffered from them pretty much all her life (perhaps 18mo when she first started complaining). At different times they are more painful than others.

The six children haven't had the same problem, so it does really depend on the child.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    He said what seems like growing pains can be something he called restless legs which is because of low iron levels. Especially in kids like my DD2 who are fussy eaters.
    This might be something to consider. DD1's iron level has been low at times.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 12-05-2012 at 19:28.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 2,5 and he's been getting for the last 6-8 months in his legs. He kicks his legs and screams "SORE AUW SORE" while pointing at his legs.
    Rubbing his legs helps, but when it doesn't I give him a little painstop as Panadol and Brufen wont do anything for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP your poor little guy, growing pains suck!

I remember having them when I was little, though I can't remember how old I was. Pretty young though. I would wake up in so much pain. I used to get out of bed and go and wake up my dad, who would then come and put me back in bed and rub Deep Heat into my legs and feet, then put a warm pair of socks on my tootsies and tuck me back in. It always helped and I would go back to sleep feeling all better. Not sure if Deep Heat is still the best option, there is probably something better nowadays.

Hope you can find a solution for your DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had these growing up for a good part of my childhood. My old man ended up putting blocks under one end of my bed so my legs were elevated. I think it helped :/