+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Slow cooker vs pressure cooker

I see that ladies here love the slow cooker for adult cooking. I have one. How about using the pressure cooker? I have one too, it cooks things super fast. Nutrition wise should be good. What do you think? Why would you use a slow cooker over a pressure cooker? I am curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    my one used when when I was little but I don't remember the difference (she used a slow cooker too)

Sub'ing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When my slow cooker died, i started using my pressure cooker. It is nice and fast, and cooks things beautifully. The flavour seems to stay in vegies especially well. We went and brought a new slow cooker (thanks Aldi!) on the weekend, and i remember the convenience of just popping it all in and walking away....something you can't really do with a pressure cooker! I do find with the slow cooker though, the flavours aren't as intense as the pressure cooker, but it's a convenience thing too. I love both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    How long does a casserole take in the pressure cooker and does it come out melt in your mouth like a slow cooker?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    How long does a casserole take in the pressure cooker and does it come out melt in your mouth like a slow cooker?
    About 30-45minutes, depending on the size vegies and meat you use. The vegetables don't come out as mushy as in the slow cooker, they retain their shape, but are still cooked through. I find the pressure cooked casseroles tastier than the slow cooked ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of flavour, I think the pressure cooker is really good at retaining it. And meats that take hours to cook can be cooked in minutes. But it is loud when you release the pressure though, unless you have all the time to wait for the pressure to release by itself. I can saute and brown and do simmer in the pot before turning the pressure on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just bought a slow cooker on recommendation of friends, because they set it up in the morning and go to work, then dinner is ready when they get home. They are foodies and they say that it turns out really yummy! You can safely leave the slow cooker on as thats what they are designed for. Maybe its not quite as nice as pressure cooker but pretty good for what they are, and convenience wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I use the slow cooker probably twice a week in winter. I make casseroles, heaps of different soups, silverside. I put in on early in the day and get it out of the way and by dinner the meat is so soft it's falling away from the knife

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

grumpysmurf  (12-05-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I too only use my slow cooker in winter - mainly for soups and curries and usually on my work days. To walk in the door to a minestrone ready to eat with some crusty bread has been a life saver many many times

Thanks
    Reviews
    My slow cooker recently died so I replaced it with the Breville Fast Slow Cooker (pressure cooker as well as a slow cooker).

I've so far used it about 10 times and 9 out of 10 have been as a pressure cooker!

The only difference I've noticed (as has fussy DH) is the slow cooker gives a much better depth of flavours in casseroles, Bolognese, curries etc. but the meat in the pressure cooker is AMAZING for only being in there 35 minutes!

Also, I've found slow cooking a whole roast better than pressure cooking.

If you've got the $$ buy the Fast Slow Cooker - I only bought it because I couldn't make my mind up on which one!