+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Conceiving after ectopic

This may be a dumb question but it's not one I thought to ask my dr when I was in hospital! I had an ectopic back in December and ended up losing my R tube.

We have started TTC again but I was wondering, I read that after an ectopic you have a 1 in 10 chance of having another ectopic, is this only if you have methotrexate and still have the "damaged" tube? Am I still a higher risk even thought the damaged tube has been removed?

Sorry, I've been reading about it but can't seem to figure it out :S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Anja, I was told that the chance of another ectopic were slightly higher, but I wasn't given stats or a %. I was also told it wouldn't decrease my fertility and I fell pregnant first month trying (we waited 6months). I know a few laides that have had ectopic pregnancies, and all have gone on to have healthy pregnancies next time around, with most falling pregnant within the first few cycles. Goodluck

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ob said that my chances were considerably higher having had an ectopic, double what they were for other women. I don't think it matters whether you still have the tube, I think it's more that certain women may have a tendency to implant in the wrong place, and having a previous ectopic means you may be one of these women.

My subsequent pregnancies were managed very differently than usual.

1. I saw my ob immediately, rather than seeing my GP for the first trimester.
    2. I had beta hCG tests every few days for a week or two.
    3. I had an early ultrasound at 7 weeks to make sure bub was in the right spot and had a heartbeat.

While none of these things can prevent an ectopic, I did find the process very reassuring

ETA Because I had methotrexate I wasn't allowed to conceive for three months. TBH that was a break I think I needed anyway, emotionally as well as physically. Then DS3 was conceived as soon as I was allowed, almost to the day. It certainly didn't affect my fertility
    Last edited by lambjam; 09-05-2012 at 16:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the responses ladies makes me feel better! We've waited 4 and a bit months and I'm really hoping it won't take long to fall pregnant. We fell pregnant so easily with DD then again with our bub we lost so I don't know how to be patient ha

Thanks again *hugs*

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Best wishes