+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Child unknown issues

In need of some assistance or advice.

I have a 6 yr old son. He attends before and after school care and is in Yr 1. He's very confident- chats to anyone. He is known to be the outgoing one in the family (never stops talking).

For a while now, he's been getting tummy pains through the night. On and off- no real pattern. No real consistency to food/days/activities etc. Not all the time either, maybe once a month? I'll tell him to sit on the toilet for a bit to see if he needs to do a poo, he'll try that and usually come back with it not being resolved. It usually ends in me giving him some nurofen/panadol- after which he is fine and will go back to sleep.

By the morning he is fine. I have taken him to the doctors the morning after and they've pressed and prodded and what not and nothing. Not to mention, it never eventuates to sick.

Although he tells me he doesn't want to get up, doesn't want to go to school/before and after school care- it's never a huge deal. I say, it's something we have to do just for the next 12months and than we'll have a big long holiday together- he doesn't cry, whinge or carry on. On the most part he enjoys school. He's in the top reading group, good at maths, not any area I can see he struggles in.

So, what to do? Anyone experienced this? I can't find anything wrong physically- could it be a mental thing? He being anxious? I don't know- I need some answers.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

***Sent from my phone***

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 went through a similar thing when she was about 5 or 6. I thought maybe she was constipated - even though I thought she was going every day. Tried increasing her water intake and giving her prune or pear juice but that didn't help. Dr even sent her for an ultrasound but nothing showed up. In the end they diagnosed her with abdominal migraines. She has always been extremely shy and prone to anxiety so we felt that was part of it too.

She would look pale whenever she came and complained of her tummy hurting and we couldn't associate with any particular triggers. She is now 8 1/2 and it hasn't happened for about 12 months now.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, my 6yo son also has unexplained tummy aches. He is also socially outgoing, talk to anyone etc. He doesn't love school, doesn't hate it but would probably rather stay home sometimes. I have put it down to anxiety - he usually gets these tummy aches at night, not long after bedtime, or in the morning. I usually indulge it..just a little bit..sympathy, a tummy rub and warmed wheat pack, and then "come on, time for school/bed", an its usually pretty obvious the belly ache isnt bothering him too much - ie he will go jump on the tramp or go off to sleep. I think he just wants a little bit of reassurance or attention.