+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel for your boy....life as a teenager is hard enough but dealing with the death of friend, a sudden death no less, can be excruciating. I was 16 when a dear friend died in tragic circumstances and it really turned my world upside down.

I did find solace in my fellow students and our close group of friends but looking back I wish I entered some sort of therapy. We were offered counselling but of course at the stage of our youth we baulked at it and rather stuck together and bonded over our grief. To this day I feel that quite a few of us are still trying to deal with issues related to that one day which changed our lives.

I say give him some space to grieve the way he wants and let him know that you are there to support him and to lend an ear if needed. Maybe in the near future, after a year or so, mention some counselling because a neutral person for him to talk to could be beneficial. Sometimes teens can unknowingly suffocate each other with their overwhelming emotions so it may be good for them to talk to someone who can just listen unbiasedly.

All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel for your boy....life as a teenager is hard enough but dealing with the death of friend, a sudden death no less, can be excruciating. I was 16 when a dear friend died in tragic circumstances and it really turned my world upside down.

I did find solace in my fellow students and our close group of friends but looking back I wish I entered some sort of therapy. We were offered counselling but of course at that stage of our youth we baulked at it and rather stuck together and bonded over our grief. But to this day I feel that quite a few of us are still trying to deal with issues related to that one day which changed our lives.

I say give him some space to grieve the way he wants and let him know that you are there to support him and to lend an ear if needed. Maybe in the near future, after a year or so, mention some counselling because a neutral person for him to talk to could be beneficial. Sometimes teens can unknowingly suffocate each other with their overwhelming emotions so it may be good for them to talk to someone who can just listen unbiasedly.

All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to read your boy is going thru this. When I was younger a very close friend of mine was murdered. It was a high profile case and one I have never been able to escape the memories of. I myself wanted to be left alone but I knew my parents were there if I needed them or wanted to talk about it. Still to this day, if something comes up in the media about the case or about the person who murdered her or a member of his family, I'm taken straight back to when it happened. All I can say is let your boy know you are there for him and try not to push him too much but make sure he doesn't seperate himself from life for too long.
    Last edited by Ms Kez; 10-05-2012 at 08:28.