+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default laparoscopy and Endo, Would like to talk to those who have been through it.

Im very apprehensive if this will actually fix my problems, would love to hear of your experience and how your symptoms were when it comes to Endometriosis?

In about 8 weeks time in going in for a laparoscopy, my gynecologist will be removing any endometriosis, if its there, and also fitting the mirena in place.

This has been a last resort, I have had many ultrasounds done and they show up "nothing of concern" according to other GPs and previous gynecologists.
    things that have been found on sonograms are: my uterus is retroverted and my right ovary is "tucked" behind my uterus and is close to my bowels. Also some cysts have been found in the past but non at present. My endometrium lining on my uterus is also "abnormally thick" and "small masses were found" according to sonogram reports.
    during pelvic exams they found my cervix to be covered in lesions but all pap smears and colosopys have come back clear.
    I also had a c-section birth and recent sonograms have found lesions and masses along the incision.

Some of the symptoms I'm having is

>Shocking pain during sex, It's bad.. And can last for many days after sex.
    I also have heavy bleeding and clotting after sex that can last for about a week and can get quite heavy.
    > pain during mid cycle, it's almost as bad as my period pain that can cause me to be bedridden some days.
    > spotting between periods
    > pain in my legs a few days before my period is due, it's more annoying than painful.
    > heavy, large clotting during period, my period will last 8-10 days. I usually fill up a maternity pad in an hour.
    > Becoming anemic after a periods.
    > pain before, during, and after a bowel movement and blood in stool, I'm constipated when I'm not on my period but when I'm on my period I have diarrhea.
    >terrible migraine attacks during my period and mid cycle.
    > somedays my pelvic region feels tender and swollen even though it's not.

These symptoms have been going on for about 7 years now and as each month passes it slowly gets worse.

I seen a new GYNO and he thinks it's it endo, where as other have said its all in my head and I need to loose weight, I am now down to a "healthy BMI weight" and no change at all.
    My half sister has PCOS & Two of my sister have Endo, so does my mum so I know what it is, but there symptoms have just been trouble falling pregnant and nothing else.. However I had no trouble falling pregnant with my dd. Which leads me to think it isn't Endo or PCOS.
    I did bleed during my pregnancy all the way up until she was born but it wasn't heavy. Just a constant light bleed.

Will this laparoscopy and mirena give me any quality of life back?
    What was your experience?
    I'm also worried they won't find anything and I'm back to square one.

I just can't do all this any more! It's horrible.
    I can't have sex, im in pain for about 2-3 weeks out of the month.
    I'm just sick to death of bleeding and pain!
    I'm sorry if this sounds rude but I'm just at my whits end with it all.

I don't know what to expect after all of it.
    And I'm constantly thinking I'm something quite serious could be going on.
    All of it is really getting me down.

Would love some support/Advise on the laparoscopy or just how to deal with it in general.

Thank in advance
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 09-05-2012 at 11:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I have just noticed this topic was posted in completely the wrong place.
    Mods feel free to move it to the right place if you want

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

First of all hugs to you..
    Im 23 and i have endo. About a year and half ago i had a lap to remove the endo, not too long after that i fell pregnant with my now 4 month old. Personally for me the lap helped. I used to get shocking periods. Heavy heavy clots, pain all down my legs, and the period pain was absolutely debilitating. Its a pretty straight forward procedure. But in my experience it helped me, and i fell pregnant with my little miracle baby not long after i had the op.

Sorry if this is of no help, but i hope you get the answers you are looking for. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewbeginnings View Post
    Hi!

First of all hugs to you..
    Im 23 and i have endo. About a year and half ago i had a lap to remove the endo, not too long after that i fell pregnant with my now 4 month old. Personally for me the lap helped. I used to get shocking periods. Heavy heavy clots, pain all down my legs, and the period pain was absolutely debilitating. Its a pretty straight forward procedure. But in my experience it helped me, and i fell pregnant with my little miracle baby not long after i had the op.

Sorry if this is of no help, but i hope you get the answers you are looking for. xxx
    Thank you for your reply,
    This month has been bad for me and I started week 3 of bleeding today
    I had a few days where it was just very light spotting so Dh and I DTD and we had to stop because it was so painful and I started bleeding really bad and no it just won't stop!!
    I haven't been able to do any of my exercise because of the pain, or take my dd to swimming lessons because of the bleeding (I have only just started using tampons, don't trust them 100% in the pool just yet lol)
    It's really starting to make me go insane with frustration!

Do you (or any one else) know of any type of pill or injection or something I can get to stop the bleeding? Even if it's just for a few days?
    My local GP says there's nothing but
    There has to be something

Sorry, didn't mean to rant on, just
    over it all today.

Has your Endo been better after you had your baby?
    I have read that once you have a baby it gets better... After my dd was born my periods were good for about 6 months then slowly went back to how it use to be.

I understand when you say the pain is debilitating... Some days in my cycle (I don't even know if I can call it a cycle any more! Lol) the pain is borderline the same as parts of labour!
    I made it to 10cm with my dd all natural and then had the c-section,
    I was more mobile after the c-section than what I am during a period or ovulation. It ridiculous.

I have read the only real "cure" for endo is a hysterectomy?
    Obviously this is somthing offered to women who are well and truly past childbearing years?

Also how long was your recovery for the Lap? Mine will be day surgery and my husband was going to take Lap day off work to watch our daughter, and then back to work the next day. He has holidays owing so do you think it would be better if he took longer off? Is it a painful recovery at all?

Congratulations on your baby!
    4 months old
    Such a good age, my dd is 16mo now the time goes by so quickly!

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    First of all I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Endo is just awful.
    I have had 4 laps, get your husband to take the day after off as well, you will be quite tender and it will be tricky to look after your dd.
    I have had heavy periods since i was about 15, and thought nothing of it. Until, that is, i started to ttc. The first lap was done by a surgeon in London and he said it was probably the most severe he had seen, it had adhered to all parts of my body that it was not meant to, including blocking both my tubes.

Over the course of about 6 years we ttc and I had 3 other laps and we finally conceived twins, with the help of IVF. My endo is much better now, my periods are still painful, but I only actually bleed for 2 days quite heavily and that is it.
    I hope this at least answers some questions you have.
    Have you tried accupuncture? I found that eased the pain a little when ttc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had a lap for suspected endo but didn't have it. I didn't know if this was a good or bad thing as there was no other explanation for my heavy periods and mid-cycle spotting.

It really does sound like it's endo for you, it's ticking all of the boxes.

From what I have heard the lap does provide relief for at least 12 months before the endo then may start to grow back. Don't know anything about a mirena, sorry.

Best of luck with the lap, I was surprised by how it knocked me for six and it took me several days to feel normal again so make sure you have help with your DD for a least the two days following so you can rest up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parts of your post i could have written word for word. I was first diagnosed when i was 11 and just 6 months after getting my period was in for both procedures. I am now 27 and have had it done another 3 times as it alwsys grows back in a different spot. We had no trouble conceivng our DD and managed it on the first month depsite being on a full strength pill for close to 15 yrs.
    Try and get someone to help you the next day or two if you can as you will a bit sore. By day 3 i have been back to normal and out doing groceries, etc. For a few days i just avoid heavy lifting. I always try and book in for a wednesday cause i know from experience that by the monday i will be fine to go back to school or work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, your symtoms are pretty much the same as mine and for me it has not got any better. I have now had 10 laporoscopy's to remove the endo and since I had DD 4 years ago it has progessivley got worse. Its sounds like you also have ademyosis (not sure if that is the correct spelling) which is a thickening of the lining of the uterus - the Mirena should hopefully sort out the heavy periods and if you have endo hopefully slow it down a bit. I dont have a mirena but am considering it at the moment as sadly I have reached the end of the line and really need to have a hysterectomy which is really the only way to put an end to it all together. I got my period today and have so far soaked through 6 super tampons and overnight I can plow through 3 maternity pads :-(

Please feel free to pm me if you need to chat, hope it all goes well