+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toilet training a one year old.

We just found out we are having another baby.
    DS is one so they will be 21 months apart.
    We would really like to have DS toilet trained by then.

Has anyone else managed early toilet training? And if so, any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    TBH i wouldnt be pushing him into something hes ot ready for. You can however introduce the idea to him and see how he goes. Let him have no pants on and have the potty at the ready.
    The thing with toilet training is they are only gona do it when THEY'RE ready and not before.
    My kids are 23 months apart and i too was hopeing for DD to be out of nappies. I did try and turns out i only had about 3 months of 2 kids in nappies. In saying that we used cloth right from the start (a proven method of early toilet training) and as far as i know, girls tend to train earlier than boys.
    It is very rare for a child to be toilet trained before 2 yo so you can always try but dont be disapointed if it doesnt work. Also, even if he does come out of nappies by the time your bub comes along, he very well might end up back in nappies due to bub arriving (its a crazy time for toddlers too)
    BTW, having 2 kids in nappies isnt much more work that 1 (and we used cloth for both) so dont worry.
    Good luck though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Have a look at the three day potty training method, worked for us with2 of our kids at 23 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, congratulations on your baby news
    Each child will be different with toilet training- if your DS is receptive to the idea at around 19-20 months, it might work. We started with DS1 when he was 21 months and he was fully trained (day and night) by 24 months. He was very receptive to the idea- he decided he was ready for no nappies one day and that was it- we never went back. Tips I found useful- make sure your child is ready- discuss it with him so you are both on the same page, otherwise it could become a nightmare and a waste of time to try so early. I never used any aids such as potties- I had a plastic seat insert that fitted on a real toilet- I saw no point in training on a potty then repeating the process on a real toilet. Once you start, and it is going ok, keep going. Even if it means going through 10 pairs of undies per day. Always keep positive. If your child gets it, it could all be over in a short space of time. Expect some regression. My DS2 is a totally different child- much more docile and simply wasn't interested in the concept until he was 2.5. He took much longer and still wears a nappy to bed now and he is 4. Each one is different in terms of timing All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started to sit DD on the potty at 10 months - 1st time she sat on it she did a #2! Her bowel motions were pretty regular, so that made that bit easy and I cleaned about 5 pooey nappies since that day!

I used a 'pottytunities' approach, just sat her on the potty whenever i went to the toilet and then at times she'd normally wee - such as 15 mins after a big drinks, after meals etc. By about 12-13 months she would point to her nappy and say 'potipotipoti'... and yes, I kept her in disposable nappies 80% of the time (some bare bottom time each day) - no confusion or anything that I was 'warned' about.

I just treated it like learning to walk - yes, she'd 'fall over' (have accidents) and stumbles along the way - but that was no reason to stop. I only ever encouraged and never, ever told her off if she weed on the floor or in her nappy. She loved going to the potty and getting all that undivided attention.

She was into knickers full time at about 21-22 months and would have an accident maybe once a fortnight. No accidents by 2. (night learning didn't happen for another 1.5years)

Personally, I would just start sitting him on the potty with no nappy after breakfast, before bed and every time you go and talk lots about what you're doing. Remember that you push a poo out but you 'relax' a wee out (so don't encourage pushing for wees).

That way even if he's just doing poos in the potty by the time bub comes it still gives you SO much less bottom-cleaning to do! Good luck and try to stay relaxed about it all.

PS. I chose this approach as it is more like what mums used to do in the 'olden days' of terry flats and twin-tub washing machines!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lumpy Melon, congratulations! Very exciting news for you all!
    I'd love to hear any advice you're getting along the way because whilst I'm not pregnant I would love to have my daughter toilet trained if it's possible at this age.

My mum said I was out of nappies at 1 and once I started using the potty she never needed nappies for me again so I know that it can be done, I just don't know the techniques to encourage it.

Would love to hear any tips you're getting along the way

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Early potty training is great. At that age it's called elimination communication. I started with my bubba when she was about 3 months. It was great and so easy. I use cloth Nappies so it's fantastic to have her poo in the potty rather than in her cloth one.
    She really enjoys her potty time.
    Makes things much easier, I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What it actually comes down to is thier bowel and bladder control. To successfully toilet train they need to be able to recognise the need to go, be able to communicate the need to go and be able to control thier bladder and bowel enough to make the trip to the toilet. If they have regular bowel movement and times that they wee then it is possible to catch them at the right time and achieve a measure of success. It is great for familiarising them with the toilet but true toilet training does not occur till the above 3 criteria are met. You could start by sitting them at the toilet at times they would normally wee or poo and tell them that the toilet is for weeing and pooing in. I would actually find it easier to have two kids in nappies than clean up after accidents. It takes 2-3 times as long to clean up both floor (or couch etc) and child up after an accident than it does to change a pooey nappy.

Definately start toilet familiarisation but I would leave the undies till DS makes attempts to go to the toilet himself or communicate to you that he needs to go. And teaching him how to pull down his own pants and put them back on again is very important. Make sure his clothes encourage success and are not a boundary to it.