+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default scan results.. confused..

I had a scan yesterday for 36 weeks. But The results say a mean gestational age of 38w2d... does this mean I'm further along then Ive always thought? My previous scan had my EDD on June 6, but this is saying may 20th?
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you do the gestational diabetes testing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, cause the doc said i didnt need to as I didn't have any issues last time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At this point all babies have had plenty of time to grow outside the "norms" used for measurement. I'd say your baby is a bit bigger than the average 36 weeker but that your due date remains the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your baby is most likely just measuring bigger, I wouldn't be alarmed, if your GP thinks something is wrong they will let you know, some women just have bigger babies (When I had my sizing scan at 36wks, DS1 was measuring 39wks, he came out 9lb1oz, so not huge, but he was bigger then average)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also should add, that these sizing scans aren't always accurate, I know people that have been told to expect 10lb+ babies and they have come out within the normal range of 7-8lb.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the 2 PPs, most likely means bub is a little bigger than the 'average'. Mine were always smaller on the later scans but that didn't change my EDD. Sonographer told me once bubs hit 20wks genetics kicks in and make the sizing a little harder to guage gestation on.

Good luck.

Sam

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say you are just measuring bigger at this stage its no big deal. If you are worried about getting too big talk to your OB otherwise I wouldn't worry. When do you see your OB next?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told that sizing scans are only accurate in the early stages of pregnancy - so u'd go on the dates provided in ur first tri / 12 week scan.

As becandabub said, by this stage bub has had opportunity to grow outside the 'norm' - dating scans are based on what's "average" so just means bub is bigger than average. its nothing to be worried about, but if u are, speak to ur OB my 1st measured bigger at my 30-something week scan

Thanks
    Reviews
    The scans aren't really that accurate at that gestation, I only come to that conclusion because when I was 32 weeks pregnant they said DS was on the 90th percentile for growth and then at a 36 week scan they said he was at the 10th percentile for growth, I was put on fetal monitoring for the rest of the pregnancy, they were going to induce me at 38weeks but when my OB and I talked it over he was happy to let me go further along, I was induced at 39+4 due to gestational diabetes (wasn't able to go past 40weeks), DS was a healthy 7lb 9, not to big not too small.