+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sell or keep

I have many things that DS has outgrown or about to outgrow soon, such as bassinet, playmat, clothes, swing, rocking chair,.. Our house is quite small and we don't have a shed so now they are stored in the guest room. I want to have another baby but don't know when, maybe 2, 3 years, maybe longer, depends on how i cope with raising DS. Most of the things i bought are second hand but i spent quite a lot of time sourcing.

In your case do you sell them or keep in storage some years for your second/third/.. bub?

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept most of my stuff because I was planning a 2 year age gap. I think if there was up to a 3ish year age gap
    I would hold onto things but would definitely cull it back to the basics.

I will be selling it when I have finished with things this time around as I am 97% sure we are finished our family now.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (08-05-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Keep your stuff and plan as small a gap as possible. You might as well cram the busy baby years all in together, they aren't easier when you space them out. You then just have to juggle things like school or kinder runs around naptimes and that is a pain. I wished I had my three over 3 or so years rather than the gaps I have.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (09-05-2012),lovesushi  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds's father and I planned a 2 year gap, we split when Ds was 8 months old.

I am now looking at a bare minimum 3 year (most likely more) gap and I still have EVERYTHING Ds has ever owned :/ im like wtf do I DO with all this sh!t :s the playgyms are on the 'do keep' as I adore them and Ds spent alot of time under them (they fit under my new) its the 3 (super large) striped bags of 0000-1 baby clothes that I have nfi what to do with

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Keep. We planned a 2 - 3 year gap, but it ended up being nearly 5 years, but I still had most of the stuff from my ds. Just organise it well - we have lost some essential parts to various things (like the connector for the poles for the jolly jumper frame) and so can't actually use those things at all! So annoying!

Some things will sell for similar prices to what you paid (eg. 2nd hand furniture), but clothes will definitely not. I listed about 20 items on ebay in one lot the other week including some new items and some of my nicest baby girl 2nd hand clothes (that I had bought new and were hardly worn). It sold for $14. Someone got a great bargain and they will be happy, but to me it wasn't worth the effort of choosing the clothes, photographing them nicely, listing them on ebay and then sending them. They were probably worth $200 - $300 when the clothes were new.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sold our swing and jumperoo yesterday, just need to sell the walker.

Makes me want to cry. But I can replace when/if we have more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mim1, that's a HUGE bargain that buyer got!

I really want 18 month - 2 year gap but I'm struggling a lot so not quite sure. At the moment the house is so cluttered. I also keep my pre-pregnancy clothes, hoping that I may lose weight How do you store your stuff? In the shed, garage, boxes under bed,..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a lot of big plastic crates - all the same kind so they can be stacked. The clothes & toys go in them. We don't have a garage or space under beds, or much storage inside at all. So, basically they took over the spare room and the rumpus room, etc, etc, etc. In the end when we had to turn the spare room into the nursery for bub #2 we got a storage unit and we stored a lot of stuff there - pram, cot, clothes, car seats, etc until bub #2 came along. We have a small shed, but I don't trust it for that kind of stuff cause it's not a slab and it's infested by mice/rats/spiders/etc. Storing all the stuff has been extremely difficult and that's why now that we've had #2 and we think we're done I am trying to get rid of stuff as quickly as possible!

The other thing I did was lend stuff out to people like the bassinet, electric swing, etc and so that meant I didn't need to store them for a while

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would keep it...
    storage or can a friend/family member put it somewhere for you?
    i wouldn't wanna go through the "oh i regret selling" or "i wish i didn't give that away!" stages. its really nice to look back on all those things when pregnant with baby 2... it makes me excited

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Huni&Coco For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We hoped for a 2-3 year age gap, but not sure how that will pan out. Our son is 2 next week...

Our stuff is everywhere mainly in one room though - it totally ruins the room, making the house feel smaller. I could go and organise it all - but when?! After my son goes to sleep and there's an opportunity to see my husband/relax? When he's asleep during the day, but at the risk of waking him (such a light sleeper!).

I guess the question for you is - does the clutter get to you so much that its worth culling some stuff? Will you still feel the same way in 6 months? How much would it cost to replace the things you sell? Would you consider buying second hand goods like ones on ebay? Or would you want to have new stuff? Can you afford that?

Not an easy decision - but one that's different for everyone.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-05-2012)