+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 12 month old still waking for bottle feeds during the night!

Hi Everyone

My 12 month old DD still wakes frequently during the night. Sometimes the only way to get her back to sleep is to give her a bottle. She's having 4 bottles per day (three are at night 7pm, midnight and 4am) and everyone tells me that is too many for her age. My maternal and child health nurse wants me to cut back to two and not give her any after 7pm.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you go about getting your baby to sleep through the night?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 24 month old still sometimes wakes during the night for a bottle. He now gets half skim milk and half water.

He didn't really stop waking up regularly till around 20 months. Wish I could give you some answers but for us it was give him a bottle or he would cry until he had worked himself up so much he would vomit in his bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,

My DD2 is 20 Months and still has 4 bottles a day, sometimes 5 even! I have never really questioned it, as I am going to give her up to age 2 before I drastically cut down to 1-2 a day. I personally don't think your giving your 12 month old to many bottles, but if it's really a concern for you, why don't you try cut out the 7pm feed by having him sit with you and dp for dinner and giving a cup of water instead and still give him the 12 am and 4am feed. Then slowly work on cutting the 12 am feed and so on.

DD2 has just started sleeping through with out a bottle, I didn't do anything, she just grew out of it, but I will still give her an early morning bottle if she wakes and wants one but its only happening once a week now.

There are no hard and fast rules, go with what feels right.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my ds was still waking for feed overnight at 12 months. We tried reducing the volume with little success. What worked eventually was diluting the milk until it was mostly water and then started offering only water. Even now at 4 he still wakes regularly for a drink, but once we could leave a bottle of water in his bed it did get easier.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought about giving toddler formula at night and half strength through the night. My 2 boys (2.5yrs and 14months) have formula before bed then once the bottle is finished it's filled with water. Its been my experience though that toddlers will kick using a bottle when they're ready and at 12 months they're really still babies. Don't let other peoples opinion sway you. Look at the cue's your little one is giving you and take it from there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 23 month old still wakes at least twice a night to nurse every time I get serious about night weening and make progress he gets sick

I wouldn't mind except nursing h hurts like someone is grating my nipples with a cheese grater
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have almost written this post word for word. I'm subscribing :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave mine a thicker mix right before bed. I used the rice meal stuff for babies and mixed it into his milk. Sometimes I made custard out of formula and custard powder. My dad once said that stuff would bog a duck. Not sure about that but it did apparently work on my brothers and I and it does take them longer to digest so they eventually learn to streatch out the night time feeds till they one night just don't wake. Mine eventually didn't need night time feeds but was up in pain with tooth issues. A whole nother story.
    Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just went cold turkey, just offered water, cuddles, popped her back to bed, took about an hour the first night, she caught on and didn't wake at all after 3 nights, she's sick again now.ld, do breastfeeding overnight again, but I think once she's over it it wil be easier than the first time

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP

My DD is 1 and has about 3 bottles during the day and about 3 during the night , and DS still has one bottle a night and about three during the day and he's 2 !!

I have no advice how to fix it sorry ! But didn't want you to feel alone or that your doing something wrong when everyone around you says it's too many bottles , they should be doing this that etc . . .

Good luck ! Xo