+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why do ovulation kits show negative?

My husband and I are trying to conceive so I have bought a digital ovulation kit. According to my cycle I should ovulate tomorrow but I have been testing using the kit and it shows a negative result. Is there any reason why this would be. My body temperature has dropped in the last two days. I have a very regular 27/28 day cycle so I know that I must ovulate as have regular periods. I am 33 years old.
    Can anyone give me any advice. We have been trying to conceive for two years but only started using these kits last month to help improve our chances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When TTC my DS who is 6 months old now I used OPK's and didn't get a positive the month I conceived. And I tested several times a day from about day 10 of my cycle, with two different brands of ovulation predictors. No idea why I didn't get a positive, but I still got pregnant that month.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If drink too much water an LH surge might not be detected because your urine is too diluted. Apparently you shouldn't drink much (or any) water in the four hours before you test to get the clearest result. This doesn't work too well for me as I always do my best to drink at least 3L of water a day. That means that by testing time I've usually drunk at least 2L .

Sometimes you haven't metabolised enough of the luteinizing hormone for it to show up in your urine, just as some women never get have enough HCG to make a pregnancy test show positive.
    Another possibility is that you're just testing too early in the day for the LH to show up in your urine. Your body starts creating LH early in the day and builds up throughout. You should be testing from 2pm onwards for optimal results.

So make sure you're not testing too early, and try not to drink too much water beforehand.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's really helpful, thank you very much for the advice. I will carry on as though I am ovulating tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also try testing more than once each day! I was getting worried this month because I hadn't had any positive on OPK but I started testing at 12 and then again at 7 and I managed to catch it at 7. If you only have a short surge it cold be that it is too weak when you do your first test then 24hours later it has been and gone! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lauren
    Have you been to the Dr for bloods to make sure you are ovulating? There is a few really quick tests the Dr can do for hubby and you to make sure you're on the right track. Best of all blood and sperm tests are free.
    Good luck, sending lots of baby dust your way
    X