+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Outrigger on the lagoon in Fiji! Amazing for children AND adults!!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On that budget, I would suggest an Asian country. Probably Thailand (if you fly Singapore Air, you can also have a one or two night stopover in Singapore...both times I went, we got the stopover for free. The zoo and night safari were included in the stop over and are a *must*, especially with children).

I have found that most Asian countries are very family friendly and love children, and so I would happily take my children to most of them (excluding a couple, for obvious reasons).

Balinese are very family friendly and adore children, however it wouldn't be high on my list for a family holiday. I spent a lot of my childhood in Indonesia and Bali was always my least favourite island...it's so touristy and Westernised (most of it, anyway), filled with drunk Australian yobbos wearing their pluggers and bintang singlets. There are wonderful things to do and see on parts of the island, but I think there are better alternatives out there.

Thailand is incredible, it has everything - the culture, the history, the beaches, the shopping, the markets, the wonderful people, the incredible food (I prefer Thai food as a cuisine to most other Asian cuisine). Like I said, the people are *beautiful* (it's dubbed the land of smiles for a reason), there are a lot of family friendly activities and plenty to see and do.

It's very cheap to travel through Thailand (food in particular is dirt cheap...so cheap that I sometimes felt bad that it didn't cost more) and there are amazing cultural wonders to be seen, temples etc. If you're a "beachy" type person, the beaches in Phuket are stunning (we took a boat ride and I was in awe at the colour of the water). Probably some of the prettiest scenery i've seen. If you're into shopping, there is some great shopping in certain areas (especially Bangkok).

We visited all over and there were always plenty of families. At the resort we stayed in at Phuket, there were several families with very small children (one even had a tiny baby, a few months old).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just came back from Hong Kong with DD (22mths), and it was great. The people are lovely, and there was so much to see and do. DD loved Disneyland, and then you can take a cable car through the mountains to see the Big Buddha. Good food - and I didn't think it was too expensive.

I'd be careful where you went in Thailand. I went to Phuket about 10 years ago - so I appreciate that it has probably changed a lot by now, and this may be out of date - but, based on that, I wouldn't be in a hurry to take DD there.

When we went there was a lot of pr*stitution everywhere, and my partner at the time was constantly being approached by women (girls?) who looked VERY young. There was a bit of a seedy party atmosphere in some places there too, and lots of people getting drunk/ with the girls in restaurants, etc.

I didn't get a very nice vibe from it, and at the time I thought maybe it had been a bit spoiled by tourism. But I'd love to try other areas, and have heard great things about Chiang Mai. I just wouldn't really want to expose DD to Phuket IF it was still like that. (As I said, I may be out of date - and I hope I am).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure where you are located OP but we go to Merimbula every year with the kids. Last trip was March and DS1 is 6, DS2 is 4 and DD was 4 months.

For us in Vic it takes 7 hours to drive there so its not that far away. We leave 5am have two stops and get there about 1pm.

We save money on the airfare....have our car to drive around in. Merimbula is such a family friendly place. Heaps of parks, an amusement park, great beaches and heaps of activities for the kids to do.

We get a really nice two bedroom apartment so kids have their own room and its all fully self contained.

I really cant recommend Merimbula highly enough!

We also go with my Sis family (they have two kids) and my BIL (they have two kids) and we all stay in the same complex so we have insta babysitters if a couple wants to have dinner one night.

So if you were thinking of Aus as well as o/s...try Meriumbla!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Agree.

My husband is a coconut and they are such family orientated people.

So sweet & gentle.
    Ummmm....what is a coconut??? Is it slang for something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    Ummmm....what is a coconut??? Is it slang for something?
    No, she's married to a brown, hairy, hard shelled fruit.

It's often a derogatory term for an islander.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aussie for Australian
    Pommy for English
    Coconut for Cook Islander

Definitely a slang term. Most definitely not meant in a derogatory manner.

Like i said. They are very sweet gentle people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Aussie for Australian
    Pommy for English
    Coconut for Cook Islander

Definitely a slang term. Most definitely not meant in a derogatory manner.

Like i said. They are very sweet gentle people.
    In your case not. It's rarely used as a good thing in my experience and I've witnessed people use it in a horrible manner to my husband (who isn't even an islander, but is mistaken for one) here in Australia. It's not normally a good thing in NZ either, but I've only heard it used with pure venom here.

I've always though the Cook Islander nickname was to be 'Raro' or whichever island they're from.

Terms like FOB and Coconut usually are used to make fun of their island ways.

It's also used by some Indigenous Australian's to describe another Indigenous Australian who has a 'white' lifestyle. Also derogatory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vanuatu is absolutely amazing! And cheap as chips! The people are beautiful and always greet with a smile and lots to do over there we only went for a week but wish we stayed longer!