+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I had a miscarriage due to a pap smear.

The risks are low but does happen. There is no way in hell I would ever let anyone do one again.

Have a long hard think about what you would do it if it came back with something wrong, would you abort and than have things investigated further or not.

In my case I would never abort so it is a mute issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to take into account when was your last pap smear? Your family history etc. If its been more than 2 years then you need to get it done. Otherwise wait.

They do a small scraping of the cells around the exterior and opening of the cervical os. If you are concerned about your gp doing it, see an OB.

Cancer cells can grow very rapidly. I think the small risk involved in doing a pap far outways the worst case scenario.

But that's just me.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would avoid it. Just for my personal peace of mind =) If you decide to do it. Just make sure its 100% what you want =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Routinely if women are due for a pap smear during pregnancy, it is delayed until 6 weeks post partum. When you think about it, if it is an abnormal result they're not going to perform any invasive procedures to treat it whilst you're pregnant. So, since the management of it won't change until after pregnancy, there's really no need to do it until after pregnancy. You are entitled to decline and tell your doctor that you will have one 6 weeks after birth. Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow01 For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had cancer & it's so serious & it can spread so quickly that waiting a couple of months can be the difference between stage 1 & stage 4 and with cancer it's all about early detection. Everybody has to make their own choices & what feels right to them but personally I'd do whatever I could to make sure I was still around to watch my children grow up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to desperatetofall For This Useful Post:

wigglemum  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow01 View Post
    Routinely if women are due for a pap smear during pregnancy, it is delayed until 6 weeks post partum. When you think about it, if it is an abnormal result they're not going to perform any invasive procedures to treat it whilst you're pregnant. So, since the management of it won't change until after pregnancy, there's really no need to do it until after pregnancy. You are entitled to decline and tell your doctor that you will have one 6 weeks after birth. Good luck
    This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was pregnant when diagnosed with cancer & I can tell you that they won't wait to treat you until after you've had the baby. Depending on the cancer some chemo can be used during pregnancy but either way they won't wait. Plus if it's a hormone cancer like breast cancer, pregnancy makes its grow faster cause it feeds off the hormones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a history of having abnormal cells in my PAP smear results so I will be making sure I have one before we start TTC again. Though as it turns out I am sue in a couple of months anyway, though I will do it in the next week or 2 so it is done and out of the way. If I was told that they wanted to do it while I am pregnant, I wouldnt be overly keen on it but with my history I cant be too careful with it.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow01 View Post

i totally totally agree with this