+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pap smear and pregnancy

Can a pap smear while pregnant, cause a miscarriage or any damage?

I have no idea and my gp wants to do one at 12 weeks.

I don't really feel too comfortable about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't do it to be honest.

I was due for one before falling pregnant (simply forgot) and my GP said there was no need to do one while pregnant...it could wait until my 6 week check up.

If you don't feel comfortable with it, then don't do it. It's your body and your choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a pap smear at 9 weeks at my obs with first child and now this one. I happen to have been due for one both time.I don't think it can cause a miscarriage, however I'm not an expert. They are not poking something into your uterus or anything.
    However I guess if your only just due for one perhaps it wouldn't matter if you waited an extra 6 months if it worries you

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i didnt think they offered pap smears during pregnancy.

Apparantly they do and "if" done correctly they are fine???? (see link)

http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/in...CSP-Policies-1

I would not be doing it unless there is a reason apart from the normal screening. It can wait until after the baby is born in my opinion - did your doc say why he wanted to do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one at about 12 weeks with DD3 and it was fine, no issues. I seem to remember the Dr telling me that they don't have to go in very far for PAP smear, not far enough to cause any issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one done at 5 weeks. I was scared but my dr said they don't go in far enough to cause any problems. That is given they are experienced. In my case I had to get it done at the time as I was behind in my 12 mth follow up & couldn't wait another 9 months. I have heard quite a few people having it done in early pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been due for pap smears during each of my pregnancies. And no way would I be getting one done. It can wait till my babe is out!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffbum For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (08-05-2012),Bubbles10  (09-05-2012),Ulysses  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was due for a pap smear at the same time I found out I was pregnant. At my first hospital appointment the Dr asked me when I was due for one, when I told her before I got my bfp, she said she wanted it done then and there. So she did it at 12 weeks, i'm at 32+2 days with a very active baby. she said there were no risks involved and it was perfectly safe. (I had some concerns as my first pregnancy was a missed m/c).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had them done at about 7 weeks with both pregnancies, they said they don't like to do them after 12weeks. Both were fine

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was due early in my first pregnancy, and we waited until my post baby appt.

I developed cin III in that time. I had a lletz.

My 2nd pregnancy I was due another pap, and my ob did it as it was my first pap since being cleared of CIN.

Not to worry you, just explaining I had one safely done because I had reason.
    I would onIy have one if needed due to abnormal smears in the past. Otherwise it could wait.