+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is this safe or even legal???? PLEASE help

So DH refuses to sell our car his holden rodeo (in his name so there is nothing I can do about it). The main reason is his family tell him not to sell it, but the fact is that it is not a family car especially with three kids in carseats. We had someone coming to buy the car yesterday (he helped me put it up for sale) then the night before he wouldn't sell it. Caused many tears and stress for me as I finally thought I would have a confortable car to drive, I have been waiting 5 years for it (its my car to drive around)

So when bub comes 5th June we will have three car seats in the back. He came back from his families with 3 carseats in the back to prove to me it will fit (I knew they would). BUT The two seats next to the door where slanting in (not upright) as they are bucket seats, and pretty much touching the door. The middle seat was squashed in the middle. I don't think it is safe, he thinks it is fine obviously thinking about his and his families (IL's) wants instead of his family needs. The newborns seat will be one of the ones that is slanted as I can't reach to put her in the middle, our eldest will be in the middle.

PLEASE PLEASE does anyone know if it is legal and have any sites I can show him to say it isn't safe. I can't find anything. I am desperate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow that doesn't sound safe to me.
    Sorry but what a selfish man putting his kids life in danger like that. He needs to grow up.

I'm on my phone but Im sure you will come up with stuff if you google.

RTA etc.. Should have heaps of info on it.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

austmum  (16-05-2012),Happy2be3  (08-05-2012),RunningWithScissors  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a kidsafe community centre or ambulance centre near by? When I was in Canberra there was a kidsafe centre you could go to and they would check your car and advise whether the carseats were safely installed. It was free but you had to make an appt.

In Qld, the ambulance service offer a similar service I believe. A few years ago I hired a capsule from them for DS and they give advice about things like that.

I don't know but surely NSW has something similar? If so, take the car there and get them to check it. By the sounds of the setup they'd tell you they are not properly installed and then you have proof for your DH. Can't argue with the ambulance service....

Maybe ask your local community nurse if such a service exists in your area?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (08-05-2012),patsmum  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could take the car while the car seats are in it to racv or vic roads or ur states equivilent and they can do checks to see if the seats are fitted correctly legally and safely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm it doesn't sound right at all. Anyway you can go to a fitting station and get it checked out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you able to take the car and seats to a company/ambulance service that fits baby seats and take him with you? It doesnt sound save to me. Just because they all "fit" doesnt make it safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be forging his signature and selling that car right out from underneath him as soon as he left for work!! Kids saftey vs. hubby's car = sorry hubby you lose.

I think you can go to the ambos (or get them to come to you) to professionally fit carseats. Im sure they would have something to say about it... .get it in writing if you have to!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This website might help you out - http://www.crep.com.au/faq.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the nearest kidsafe was 2 hours away (was last time I looked) but apparently there is one an hour away now so I will be taking the seats there and hopefully they tell me it isn't safe. I will be getting a written letter too if they say it isn't. Then if that all goes to plan we have to try and find a buyer it had been up for sale since February. Hopefully the person that was coming yesterday will still be interested. Even if it is legal I still don't feel safe with them like that.

I wouldn't buy DS1 a carseat that didn't have a 5 point harness even though he is 4 as he is small and not very heavy and I don't think he is mature enough to sit in the seat properly. If I just brought a booster seat there would be NO WAY in hell we would be able to do him up they are so close and pushed in together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if you found a car you wanted to buy and that is interesting to him then he'd sell the rodeo. We have a Rodeo but du drives it. I have a VZ wagon. The rodeo is ok for trips every now and then but not as safe or comfortable.