+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions.

Hi everyone!

I am currently 16 weeks with a singleton after twins, the twins were delivered via csection at 38 weeks due to breach presenting twin.

This time around I am hoping to have a vbac, my hospital has said they will fully support me in any choice I make be it another csection or a vbac, I am hoping to have a vbac as this will be my last child and I really want to experience a vaginal birth, obviously it is still early and I have plenty of time to make my mind up.

But I have a few questions, I have googled and not alot of answers arise, so I was hoping someone can help me!!!

It will be 26 months after a csection.

1. What happens in a vbac situation? Do they have to induce you, or do you just show up in labour?

2. What monitoring/machines will e attached to me during this time. And are they compulsory?

3. What am I restricted from doing? Walking, squatting, laying on my side etc etc

4. Do I have to have an epidural or any other strong medications "just in case"?

5. What happens when they decide it's not working and other ways are needed? Csection, episiotomy, etc etc.

6. An I allows to refuse internal examinations and all things the like?

Obviously every one is different and things can go pear shaped but I truly want to give this a fair go and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump...

Anyone?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi&Beth View Post

It will be 26 months after a csection.

1. What happens in a vbac situation? Do they have to induce you, or do you just show up in labour? Some hospitals do use induction methods for VBACS, but this is quite dangerous.
    It increases the risks of rupture by quite a high percentage. For my VBAC I showed up in established labor, it was better for me to stay home as long as possible so the hospital had less chances of interferring with my labor.

2. What monitoring/machines will e attached to me during this time. And are they compulsory?
    They say that Continual Fetal monitoring is compulsory, what they dont tell you is that you have every right to refuse it. It can often be inaccurate. During my VBAC i requested intermittent monitoring by the midwife with a doppler. They also tell y ou that a canula is compulsory but you can refuse that as well, I think it is invasive and uneccessary, if there was a true emergency they could knock you out just as quickly if they needed too.

3. What am I restricted from doing? Walking, squatting, laying on my side etc etc
    You shouldn't be restricted from doing anything. if the hospital tries you have every right to speak up for yourself and do what makes you comfortable.

4. Do I have to have an epidural or any other strong medications "just in case"?
    No infact you should avopid it if you can as epidurals lead to an icreased risk of cesarean.

5. What happens when they decide it's not working and other ways are needed? Csection, episiotomy, etc etc.
    They should discuss this with you at the time if it becomes necessary. they can't do anything without your consent.

Yes you most certaibly can, I refused any internals for my VBAC I felt that it was invasive and uneccessary. I managed to birth my baby perfectly fine without any internals

Obviously every one is different and things can go pear shaped but I truly want to give this a fair go and hope for the best.
    I have just quickly replied to your questions as I am on the train and almost at my stop lol. Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, I am happy to share my experience with you. I had a successful hospirtal VBAC and it was an incredibly healing and beautiful experience. I wish you all the best in achieving your VBAC
    Last edited by Theophania; 12-05-2012 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for you response! It is great to hear that I can refuse and don't need certain things!! My next appointment is with the doctor on may 30 so I will question him for sure!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. What happens in a vbac situation? Do they have to induce you, or do you just show up in labour?
    When I went for my 39 week appointment they gave me a date for induction at 41 + 4 and told me to come in at 6am. I didn't want to be induced because it would decrease the chance of vbac, so I prayed and prayed and at 40 +3 I went into natural labour.

At my hospital it was compulsory for me to get the canula in and have the babies heart monitored by the straps across the belly. They were not connected to any cords though so I was free to walk around.

I was allowed to do all of these things. I don't think they would've dared tell me not to.

Nope.

Not sure sorry.

I tried to refuse an internal examination, but they talked me into it. I was already pushing when I arrived at the hospital, so they wanted to check that I was dilated. Having the examination was very encouraging as I was 10cm and the head was part way down, yay!

My VBAC was 20 months after my c/s. It was an amazing experience. I really hope that you get your vbac too. Things that I think really helped me were taking raspberry leaf tablets and evening primrose oil (also internally), lots of reading especially 'Birth Skills' was helpful. Training DH to be really useful was also a good idea, I had an amazing labour and whenever I think about it I think 'we' did such a good job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can only really tell you my experience...

1. What happens in a vbac situation? Do they have to induce you, or do you just show up in labour? I was induced as my water broke and contractions didn't start, plus there was meconium in the waters. I was 40+3 and the pitocin was only half dosage the whole time.

2. What monitoring/machines will e attached to me during this time. And are they compulsory? I had an external monitor and iv setup.

3. What am I restricted from doing? Walking, squatting, laying on my side etc etc. Hopefully you aren't restricted at all! I was stuck on my back and it sucked.

4. Do I have to have an epidural or any other strong medications "just in case"? No. I chose to have an epidural though.

5. What happens when they decide it's not working and other ways are needed? Csection, episiotomy, etc etc. I had an episiotomy and vacuum as he wasn't budging. That was after three hours of pushing. There was never any mention of a c-section

6. An I allows to refuse internal examinations and all things the like? yep! I wish I had of!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm subscribing as I'll be attempting a VBAC in Dec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your responses! It's comforting knowing that I have a choice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a successful VBAC last night and the most important thing was a supportive midwife and Ob that believed I could do it.

You will be given an end date depending on your hospital usually between 40 and 41 weeks, if you go into labor before this you just rock up to hospital. Some hospitals won't induce you due to increased risk of the uterus if drugs are too strong.

I had the fetal HB monitor and contraction monitor on. Once my waters were ruptured they attached the scalp monitor and removed the external HB monitor which gave me a bit mor freedom to move and be active

I Was restricted to the on and next to the bed due to the monitors

I had a canula and antibiotics due to being gbs positive. An Epi can be counter productive so I would get one earlier than you need.

Sorry I don't know, I think if my baby didn't come when she did the decision would have been made but now plans were in place.

You can, for me my Ob wanted me checked every 4hrs then 2hrly once water broke. I was happy with this as it broke things up a bit. It also let me know things were working.

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!!

I had a successful vbac 2.5 years ago. I am not expert by any means - but I will tell you what was the situation with my experience. It will depend a lot on whether you are going public or private as well.

1. What happens in a vbac situation? Do they have to induce you, or do you just show up in labour? In a VBAC situation is pretty much the same as any normal birth. For me they wanted me to ring them as soon as there was ANY sign of labour - they like to monitor you a lot closer with a vbac. In the end I was sent home from the hospital twice! Previously doctors did NOT like to induce vbacs. The reasoning being that the drugs produce stronger than normal contractions which puts even more strain on the scar. But in the last couple of years there have been quite a lot of induced vbacs with no adverse results so they have relaxed their stance. I guess you will need to ask your ob his/her stance on that one.

2. What monitoring/machines will e attached to me during this time. And are they compulsory? For me, they put two conditions: (a) I had to have an IV point put in my arm at arrival - this is so if something does go wrong, they can immediately put you out and perform an emergency cs. I didn't have to be connected to a drip - just the shunt in my arm ready to be hooked up. The second condition (b) was the fetal monitor. That was a TOTAL pain in the ... well a pain. The monitor sat on top of my belly (up under my breasts if you know what I mean) and every time I had a contraction I moved around and the monitor fell off. So on the read out it looked like the baby's heart stopped with every contraction. If I could go back, I would ask for the monitor to be put on for 5-15 minutes, then taken off for 30 minutes and let me get on with it. As to if they are compulsory - nothing is compulsory. But in the end, if you don't cooperate with them, they are more likely to tell you that you need a cs and not let you try.

3. What am I restricted from doing? Walking, squatting, laying on my side etc etc You are not restricted at all. You cant take the fetal monitor in the shower or bath - so they told me I couldn't use the birthing pool. But the vbac doesn't stop you from anything.

4. Do I have to have an epidural or any other strong medications "just in case"? Nope. Just the same as any other birth - only take what you want.

5. What happens when they decide it's not working and other ways are needed? Csection, episiotomy, etc etc. Same as normal. For me, after pushing for 2.5 hours they decided to try the vacuum. They transferred me to the theatre (from the birthing suites) because there was a higher than normal chance I would need to cs after all. So I ended up delivering in the theatre. Normally those things would be done in the birthing suites after any discussion with you (and your DH). Only if you need a cs do they transfer you.

6. An I allows to refuse internal examinations and all things the like? Definitely.

For me the best advice for a successful vbac I can give you is:
    - make sure the drs and midwives are aware of your desire to at least TRY a vbac.
    - have a supportive birthing partner - my DH was hopeless! If I had my chance again he would NOT be invited!
    - make sure you are in the best physical condition you can be in - birth is hard work!
    - remain at home as long as possible, remain upright, and refuse an epidural
    - dont be too disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you want

Good luck!