+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default are we right to worry?

My 12yo dsd has always been small - very small and not eaten huge amounts of food... However the last few months she has told us she is getting really fat and needs to lose weight. (she wears size 8-10 clothes and is 12. In length she needs 10-12 but doesn't fit her waist).

She refuses to eat breakfast, eats a price of fruit for morning tea sometimes, won't eat lunch, maybe sometimes has a piece of cake or a price of fruit or a couple of biscuits for afternoon tea, and will complain every night that she has too much dinner and can't eat it all. (we give her a tiny bit more than our 6 year old which is about half of what our 10 year old eats)

This morning she was prepared to sit at the bench ALL day in front of her breakfast instead of going to school coz she just flat out refused to eat it. She ate about a quarter of her already small bowl over the course of 50minutes, crying most of the way through, until I told her don't worry about eating anymore and to go to school.

My dh and I are very worried. Should we be? Or are we reading too much into it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely. It is not healthy to eat that little. Many girls feel peer pressure around that age to look good.

I'd see a counsellor about how to tackle it. Im not sure the confronting/forcing approach will work in the long run. I didn't eat much around the age of 14+ and would cringe every time my parents said something to me. It was like they didn't understand and was embarassing to talk to them. It would have helped me to have someone younger who I respected to talk to. Also if I was to learn about/get into sport and nutrition more that would have helped.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes, I would be worried. It might be worth making an appointment with the school's student counsellor... and the GP. Then seeing where to go from there.

It's not healthy for a tiny 12-year-old to be so fixated on her size, let alone losing weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be worried. That's how my eating disorder started. I hope she is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is she in fairly good health otherwise? Could she have any food intolerances or allergies that are making her feel unwell after she eats?

How stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i would be worried.
    i mean no judgement, just suggesting what i would do if my daughter were in this situation, i would try to sit down with her or maybe even take her out on a girls day (just mum and daughter) and try and figure out where and what the problem is.
    is it possible that a friend is doing the same thing and she feels she needs to also do so?
    is she being peer pressured or bullied?
    imo, i wouldn't try to force her to eat etc. (as hard as it is) just in case she becomes more upset and refuses more. i would try positive encouragement and maybe asking her what she would rather eat instead of .....? even though she may refuse, at least your giving her options. i would explain the harm she could cause her body and health in doing this and if she wants to stay "fit" maybe encourage great diet and exercise.
    if this doesn't help i would be seeking medical advice and i would explain that to her.
    i really feel for you op this must be very hard to watch your daughter go though this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Huni&Coco For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks .,, just needed to make sure!

I guess it's off to the dr we go... Poor little darling

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup otherwise good health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would love to know how you go! all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I been using big in my phone in between work and kids do can't respond in length... But she ate this morning... She had a muffin size quiche for dinner last night and a mandarin yesterday arvo and that was it all day except for the small amount of rice bubbles.

Today I said to her gently... You know you have to eat breakfast today right? And she ate a whole small bowl of cereal! Yay!

Will still go to the dr but it will have to wait until Thursday night or the weekend unfortunately.

Thanks for the support ladies! I am pleased that I am not just over reacting! My dh had meningitis last year and nearly died. He lost 23 kg in 1 week. He worries if she gets sick she won't have any back up. She only weighs about 30 - 35kg.