+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Talk to me about milk intolerance

I tried to do a search on this topic but they don't seem to really answer my question so sorry if this seems repetitive.

Can you tell me about milk intolerance? What symptoms did you notice in your little one? Did you switch to soy and did it help? Which product/ name brand did you switch to? How do you deal with calcium?

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there :-)

Some symptoms in my little girl were, severely unsettled, bad reflux, frothy green poo, sometimes with blood in it, and for an hour after a bottle she would scream. Non stop!!
    We switched to soy, but it didn't help for us as she is also allergic to soy.
    My recommendation is go and see a GP, they can point you in the right direction

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue&Pink For This Useful Post:

CDNinOZ  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds was very unsettled, not sleeping, constant projectile vomiting even in his sleep, really smelly messy poo and lots of them, we tried soy which didn't work so he was put in a prescription formula and the difference was amazing!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Blue&Pink  (08-05-2012),CDNinOZ  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I'm off to see the GP today for DS's 18mo injections anyway. He was a BF baby until 16 months. Now that I've weaned he drinks upwards of 6lts a week. He's very unsettled at night (tossing, turning, kicking his legs, lots of wind etc). He has a minimum of 3 poos a day but it's not uncommon lately to have 5 or 6! and they are messy and smelly! Not green and frothy though.

Just so hard to figure these things out sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, both my twins had cow milk protein intolerance (CMPI) as babies. They both had some reflux and were unsettled a lot (actually told they just had colic at first). Both had excema and spots/rashes with no poo problems except maybe some constipation. We had to stop all things containing milk and not just milk and yogurt etc. So, even things like biscuits that are cooked with a small amount of milk had to be stopped.

They had no problems with soy at all. We did dairy trials every 3 mths or so. DD3 grew out of it at about 13mths while our Allergist said she doubts DD2 will grow out of it now. (She's 8.5yrs)

Now that she is older her symptoms are a very sore tummy, nausea, vomiting and spots/rashes which turn into excema if she is continually exposed. She can have things with a small amount of milk cooked in them like biscuits or cakes and cheese roughly maybe a few times a week as long as it's not too much. If she wants more cheese then she has soy plus soy yogurt and ice cream. She drinks So Good milk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

CDNinOZ  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD has CMPI. She's on a prescription formula now (she's 9mo). Her symptoms were reflux, tummy pain/pulling her legs up, unsettled behaviour, scary green frothy poo, poor weight gain. She was breastfed but I never had a good supply so she got formula top-ups. At 13weeks she was fully weaned onto the prescription formula and all symptoms disappeared.

We'll challenge the intolerance when she's 12mo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

CDNinOZ  (08-05-2012)