+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only danger a cat holds to a pregnant person is toxiplasmosis in their poo, the same bacteria can be found in soil and poorly washed veggies.

I have 2 (unvaccinated) cats who I have had for 5 & 4 years Ds is 23 months old, Fob scooped the litter when I was pregnant (but mine are inside only so I probably *could* have done it while wearing gloves and had a very low risk)

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (11-05-2012),lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a moggy and I am 26 weeks pregnant -I don't touch her much at the moment, and certainly don't go near her poo, and don't let her lie on me. To be honest, the main concern with cats comes after bub is born- my parents are adopting our moggy for a year or so once bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Having a cat is fine. Just don't change the kitty litter. It's fine to cuddle them etc. and obviously keep an eye on them after bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it. We really want to get one but maybe it might be a bit much training a kitten at the same time. We'll see how we go. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't panic about getting toxo from cats. It can happen but once the cat has pooed it takes 48 hours for the poo to become infective so as long as you change the litter or scoop the poop regularly and wear gloves you should be fine. My big concern was all the cat poo that might have been hiding in the garden when I was weeding - made sure I wore gloves and always washed my hands.

I got tested for toxo exposure during my first pregnancy and despite 10 years of working in vet clinics had never been exposed. Goes to show that basic hygiene works well.

Don't forget though the other toxo risk can be undercooked meat. Hated having to make sure that my steak was completely cooked - ruins a perfectly good bit of meat.

Oh, and Birmans are awesome - not sure how noisy they are though. I f they're anything like a siamese they might drive you nuts talking all day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 ragdolls and they are just wonderful cats full of personality.

Only suggestion is if you are going to be out of the house for work etc a fair bit get 2 instead of 1.

While I have been preg hubby does all the kitty litter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayteapot For This Useful Post:

lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a ragdoll that is permanetly inside as they don't do to well outside (they wander get stolen etc) i wear a dust mask when cleaning the litter and other than that a brush once a week keeps fur down. They are wonderful cats have the biggest personality i wouldn't worry too much just keep your mouth covered when cleaning the litter.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a cat now and I don't have to change the litter as I am allergic to it and the cat. So thats okay. Our cat also only goes to the toilet outside now he is allowed outside.

Bit scary ready about this though. Does make me concerned if we tried for number 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aside from when in not home when the cat did her thing, I have been doing all the litter changes and my wife has been avoiding it.

Another thing I have found good for litter is one called maxes catlitter, which is made from sugar cane and rice husk that are leftovers from production. It absorbs smells quite well and isn't a resource waste like clay. It can even be flushed and not clog the toilet or dropped into your garden as fertilizer.

My missus deals with animals at work,so that is more of a risk to her.however she is careful and uses gloves so no problems there fortunately.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two cats and am 27 weeks pregnant never had an issue at all just keep them worked and de-flea regularly as you should and don't change the cat litter let your other half do that as I was told it's a toxoplasmosis risk. They do like to get into the nursery I've set up so I'll be replacing the door with a screen kind of door so I can still see bub but the cats can't get in and climb into the cot.

From when she is in our bedroom in her bassinet I plan to just close our bedroom door to stop the cats from jumping up to explore the new members sleeping space.