+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats and pregnancy

Hi ladies, I don't belong here...yet, still ttc. However, just wondering if you can help me? We are ttc at the moment and I really want to get a kitten/cat. I've been warned recently about the risks of those pregnant with cats and want to see what opinions there are out there? We're looking at getting a Birman or a Ragdoll which we could keep inside permanently if needed. Any advice from those out there with cats?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you just have to avoid changing the kitty litter. Something in their poop can be dangerous. Not such a bad thing

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kymmie For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (11-05-2012),Shoopuf  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, what kymmi said. I think it is toxoplasmosis that you can get from changing cat litter while pregnant. I am lucky so far as my cat goes outside when he needs to go. Aside from cat trying to sleep on faces ect (my 5yo cat still tries to with us when he is cold) I can't think of other reasons to not have a cat. I know our nursery door will be kept tightly closed when we eventually have a bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to make sure they are fully vaccinated and avoid all of their bi-products as you can contract toxoplasmosis, which can harm an unborn baby.
    My mum contracted it while pregnant with me.
    I was born with four holes in my heart, three layers of skin, and only one lung.
    It's scary, but I was fine during my pregnancy, I just made dh do all the cleaning up of the cat area :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Apparently most adults are immune to toxoplasmosis, meaning they have had it before, you can get a blood test to check.

But yup as the other said, just dont change the litter or if you do, use gloves and wash hands well after.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybee12 View Post
    Hi ladies, I don't belong here...yet, still ttc. However, just wondering if you can help me? We are ttc at the moment and I really want to get a kitten/cat. I've been warned recently about the risks of those pregnant with cats and want to see what opinions there are out there? We're looking at getting a Birman or a Ragdoll which we could keep inside permanently if needed. Any advice from those out there with cats?
    Toxoplasmosis is rarely found in inside cats so you should be absolutely fine. Outdoor cats get it from hunting and eating dead animals and other stuff that outdoor cats eat! inside cats aren't exposed to the same things as outdoor ones so the risk is far less for them to carry it,
    We have 2 Devon Rex cats and have had them for years. To be safe, while I was pregnant I didn't change the litter which was fine because dh tends to do it anyways. If you do have to do it, just make sure you thoroughly wash your hands and you won't be at any risk. When I was pregnant our little boy cat would snuggle around my bump and I really think he knew something was happening! They are lovely company!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm 22 weeks pregnant, have 2 indoor cats. DH changes the litter. There are no other issues that I'm aware of. I had cats during my last pregnancy as well and gave birth to a healthy bub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we had a birman when i was preg with DD1.
    i just made my partner do the litter changing for that 9mths

oh and birman's are beautiful cats both in looks and nature

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

lones  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 36 weeks preg, all scans show spawn is perfect . We have 2 indoor cats, I do scoop the litter sometimes but I wear a mask (and look very Michael Jackson!) to avoid breathing in the dust (this is apparently a bad thing) and scrub my hands afterwards. Usually I just scoop the poos out and DH changes the litterbox when the litter needs replacing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 26weeks pregs with 2 cats. Theyr usually outside cats but when we moved house a few weeks ago they had to be kept inside with a kitty litter for over a week. Partner cleaned the kitty litter but I got annoyed with the smell one day and did it myself but used gloves so that it wouldn't touch my skin. Pretty sure you just need to make sure that you don't change the litter tray and if your desperate make sure to use gloves.

But maybe it'd be easier to put off getting a new cat for a while. They can take a while to get used to their surroundings, family and be trained. My 2yr old cat still plays up knocking things over and slight nips us on nose while asleep to tell us she's hungry etc.

If you fall pregnant and training a new cat it might be just the extra stress you don't need.