+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pcos, trying to lose weight any advice?

I'm 21 i was diagnosed 6 years ago.
    I want to lose 40+ kg long term.
    I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for 3 months now,I'm on metformin and I've lost 125 grams I know weight loss is more difficult But this is getting rediculous

Anyone have any ideas for diet or anything that might help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to know also. I have 40 - 50kg I want to lose and it seems impossible. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much exercise I do. Apparently a gluten free diet can really help but it also gets expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to get some ideas... :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny i should find this post as I'm at the end of my tether with weight loss and was just talking to dh about going to my dr to ask for help. I have pcos too. I was going to the gym 5-6 times a week for 3 months before christmas and eating really healthy foods but I only lost a few kg's. It's really hard to stay motivated when nothing works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's tough! Have you been tested to see if you have insulin resistance? That can be a big barrier to weight loss. Metformin is meant to give you a kickstart but you might need a higher dose?

I think there is also a really good book "power over pcos" with a special diet. Basically carbs are our worst enemy. Of course they are the hardest thing to avoid. I've found to get anywhere, you have to be super strict and cut out all bread, pasta and sugar and try and do the 1 third protein, 2 thirds vegies/salad thing. It's tough though! I know now that whoever coined the phrase "i just look at chocolate cake and i put on weight" must have had pcos.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Clementine. I have PCOS, diagnosed 3 or so years ago. I am on 1500mg of met, 100mg Vitex and I have lost 15kgs. My weight loss has been slow but finally it's working. I am doing personal training sessions twice a week with resistance training and walking other days. I found the biggest change for me came from avoiding "white foods" like pasta, bread, rice, potatoes etc. I also limit breads and carboy foods in general. One thing I had started to do also was have some carbs at breakky and lunch but not with dinner so really stick to the protein and veg at dinner. I think that makes me feel the best and less heavy and bloated. I think it has helped for the weight loss too. I can't give up all carbs, I think I would die, but controlling when and how much has helped me find a happy medium.

Since the weight loss my periods of gone from maybe once every 4 months to regular as clockwork and doc thinks I am even now ovulating, just waiting on a blood test result now, so I am hoping that has happened too!

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is hard with PCOS. My ideal weight is about 60kgs and I was able to maintain that for years on Dianne (the Pill) - obviously not helpful if you are TTC!! As soon as I came off it I put on 5 kilos before the script had even gone in to the bin!
    I am not on the Pill at the moment as I am still b/feeding but I have lost most of my baby weight working out with a personal trainer / playing netball and going on Lite and Easy. Its definitely not as easy to lose weight with PCOS but it can be done!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh you poor thing! I lost almost 30 kilos over a year by lots of cardio and weights and walking daily. I also found a low GI high protein diet helped heaps.
    I ended up getting impatient and used Optislim shakes and went to the gym daily and lost 8 kilos quite quickly, I wouldn't say it was the best way though.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My secret was Yakult.

Seriously sounds dumb, but I started having a Yakult with every breakfast, and I lost 6 kilos in a month. I wanted to drop from 75 to 65, and did it in just under two months. I didn't change my diet or exercise any longer, just added a little drink.

My foster father had a serious beer gut, I mean phew it was massive. I forced him to take a Yakult every morning and it was only a few weeks before it was almost completely gone, it was incredible.

It's worth a shot