+ Reply to Thread
    babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strider ON the plane?

We are flying to the USA in January with all three kidlets who will we 7, 18 months and 5 months. Crazy I know. We have only flown with DS1 who was 5 at the time so I have had to do alot of research on flying with little ones (baggage allowances, what you can carry on etc) to prepare. I have read old threads here on Bub Hub about taking your pram right to the gate and was wondering if anyone has done this with a pram as big as the strider WITH the second seat. On one of our trips I saw a family with a P & T waiting to board (at LAX) but the strider is quite a bit bigger. Do you think I will encounter any problems? I'm worried especially during change over in Los Angeles where you have to clear customs, change terminals etc. I was thinking to buy a small stroller and use a carrier for the baby or a small side by side but I would have to take the strider anyway as we will be there for 6 weeks so I really don't want to have to take two. Its still 7 months away but the though of the task ahead is freaking me out! I have done the trip lots of times and it's stressful enough alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would check the pram as luggage and then borrow 1 or 2 of the little strollers that are available for use in the terminal (i've always seen them available right near check-in), you can take them right to the gate and then leave them there.
    I'm just not sure what you'd do at the other end between getting off the plane and getting the pram from baggage collection?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPossum View Post
    I would check the pram as luggage and then borrow 1 or 2 of the little strollers that are available for use in the terminal (i've always seen them available right near check-in), you can take them right to the gate and then leave them there.
    I'm just not sure what you'd do at the other end between getting off the plane and getting the pram from baggage collection?
    Yep this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure the strider would be over the dimensions that they allow you to check in. Check the airline website they should have a part about dimensions for prams/carry on luggage. If you can't take it on could you grab a $20 stroller and then wear bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whenever I have been allowed to do this, it has only been with an umbrella style stroller.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We travelled to the US, UK and Switzerland with our Strider Dlx (not the plus) we were able to take it to the gate and then it met us at the gate when we got off the plane. Nobody had a problem with how big the pram was. Good luck hope you have a lovely trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    most airlines waive baggage fees for portacots and prams. But I agree with PP. Get an airport pram for your toddler and carrier for bub. If you let the airline know in advance they can meet you when you land with the pram. Singapore airlines and Etihad did that for me last year.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure there will be an airport pram to use though when we change over. That's the part i'm worried about. Once we get off the plane we have to clear customs, collect our baggage, recheck the baggage, change terminals and then get on a connecting flight. I think the safest thing to do might be to just buy a small stroller and check the big one. The strider's hugeness is always an issue