+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 12 month old and solids

Hi Hubbers,

My DS is 12 months old, still breastfeed on demand and has almost night weened (will wake about 4:30 and the only thing that settles him is boob). Were doing BLW with the exception of breakfast where he has porridge with stewed fruit. My concern is that he never really eats all that much. The only meat he will eat is spaghetti bolognese/ lasagna or chicken mince with spinach. The only food he gets excited about is fruit.

Most advice I've been given from well meaning people is to stop BFing and then he will love his food. I don't think that either of us (DS or I are ready to stop BFing). I'm probably stressing over nothing and it will fall into place in it's own time. Would just like to hear what other out there think.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!! Anyone???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi , I have a now 3yo DD who has always been, and still is a fussy eater. I have spoken to a few doctors about it and they have all said just leave food where she can access it. So I always have fruit within her reach, and she eats it. I don't think giving up Bf'ing will really help much, I did and it didn't help me. She ended up on formula at 9 months because she still wouldnt eat much and I was worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We still try to feed her other things obviously .. Another thing you can do if you are really worried is have a look into incremin. It will boost his appetite, but I wouldnt worry too much. I'm surprised my DD is alive with how little she eats (I'm exaggerating) but she is fine, has plenty of energy and growing well. That's what's important I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 2 and an awesome eater (most of the time), she eats a wide variety and will try almost anything.

However, at 12 months i had similar concerns to you (and was also advised to cut down BFs). I did nothing different, kept offering solid foods (we did BLS too), kept breastfeeding and within a couple of months DD just 'got it' and starting taking in alot more solids.

If you stop breastfeeding, and then bub still isn't ready for a lot of solids what do you do then? Breastmilk is keeping him happy and healthy. If you are happy, then keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe you could breastfeed, just not on demand? For example a 12 month old baby should be able to go
    Overnight without a feed. Bub is probably waking at 4:30 out of habit because a feed is always there. Rock
    Bub back to sleep without a feed and after a week or so bub will probably sleep through.... And perhaps eat more at breakfast.

My bubba loves fruit too... I always serve savoury first (veg) and then sweet (fruit). I don't mix them So
    Bub gets used to eating 'boring' food.

My MACH nurse said it can take 12-15 tastes before a bub gets used to a food, sonic bub turns his nose up, just keep offering that food every day.

Good luck...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD only switched on to solids at 14mths. Till then she was having 5-6bf in 24 hrs with 2 overnight feeds. I let her drop the feeds as IMO when they are ready for more solids - they are ready.

Is the 4.30am feed bothering you? If not continue till it dies or bub decides to drop it.

I too got lots of pressure to drop night feeds but it's my life and since I'm ok with it - it's fine.

Oh and once DD did drop those overnight feeds my supply did tank massively. It seemed my body needed them more than she did.

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you would have to give up breastfeeding.
    How often are you bf-ing?
    What percentile is he in?
    Are you giving him food before or after milk?
    How much is he having? 1 cup twice a day, etc...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has always been very enthusiastic about food but at around 12 months the amount she ate really dropped off. Now she's 16 months, still demand fed and has just started eating lots again. I never worried at all because she was obviously thriving. I definitely wouldn't limit breast feeds. Have you seen this which gives a breakdown of the nutrition needs that breastfeeding meets in the second year of life