+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    you can't have your cake and eat it too.....

i personally think organ donation should be routine and people who DON'T want to donate, fill out a conscientious objection form (similar to vaccinations).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (08-05-2012),SassyMummy  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I also believe an opt out situation would be preferable to an opt in situation. I personally would be happy to have my organs, tissue, everything donated - first to a living person, or if not useful in that manner, to science. However, I would never sign up on a donor register. I simply tell close friends and family my views - and intend the have them included in a will when I get around to writing one.

My reasons for not registering are superstitious at best:
    * Rumours I heard years ago of medical personal not trying as hard to save someone registered as a donor because they can be of more use to them dead.

Please don't included your intention in a will. A will can't be read until after a peron is dead - too late to donate

And I refuse to believe point one rumors - that's offensive to the medical practice and perpetuating these myths is what stops people registering in the first place

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've said for years that organ donation should be an opt-out program, rather than opt-in. If you don't wish to donate your own organs in the event of your death, then by all means, that is fine...but you would be opting out of the entire proram and therefore would not be eligible to be the recipient of an organ, should the need arise.

Exemptions to this would be children under the age of 18 and people who cannot donate for medical reasons.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Please don't included your intention in a will. A will can't be read until after a peron is dead - too late to donate
    You are right there - I guess they should be included in an Advanced Health Directive (I think that is what it is called). After all the trouble getting control of my mothers affairs, I think I should look into an Advanced Health Directive sooner rather than later.

And I refuse to believe point one rumors - that's offensive to the medical practice and perpetuating these myths is what stops people registering in the first place
    I didn't say that I believed the rumours - it was just an extra influence to sway me up for ticking the box to have it included on my drivers licence. Though if the situation were reversed and we had an opt out situation instead, I wouldn't tick the box to opt out either.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 08-05-2012 at 08:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Opt out makes way more sense. If people are passionate about not donating, they WILL opt-out. They'll make it a priority. With the current system though, some people will just be too lazy to opt-in... but would be quite happy for their organs to be donated, just too lazy to sign up for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Exactly! I work in ICU and let me say we try first and foremost to save the patient.
    Organ donation is only discussed when everything else has failed - although we'll sometimes mention it briefly when the prognosis is very poor. However actual discussions about it don't take place until we've tried everything else and it's clear that nothing we do is going to change the outcome. Funnily enough though, it's usually the family that brings up organ donation first saying if it comes to that, it's something the patient would have wanted.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    you can't have your cake and eat it too.....

i personally think organ donation should be routine and people who DON'T want to donate, fill out a conscientious objection form (similar to vaccinations).
    I agree.

And a pp mentioned a myth about medical staff not trying as hard to save someone because they are more useful dead. That is a load of bull $&@? And completely goes against everything doctors and nurses stand for.

I wish to be an organ donor if I meet the criteria. And I know my husband will donate everything but his eyes. And if the worst happened, my children will also be donating.