+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds fair! I wouldn't complain if they brought a similar law in here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I just want to say though, regardless of my thoughts on this being a good idea... for CHILDREN I think it should be irrelevant completely. I don't think Child A is less deserving on an organ than Child B because Child A's would not be willign to donate Child A's organs... children are completey different IMO.

I'll also be seriously angry if my family don't donate my organs. (even though I'll be dead and thus not able to be angry, but ykwim...lol).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-05-2012),onionskin  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My opinion when I read the article was that I wholeheartedly agreed. I was confused with the notion that giving organs after death is against someone's religion but receiving them isn't? although I'll admit I don't know the jewish stance on donation.

But after reading here I understand that it's more complex that the idea that it's selfish to take but not give back.

Sassy - I think it said in the article children were exempt and were top of the queue ahead of adults.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can see its appeal from a fairness perspective, but I prefer the greater good element of organ donation, rather than entering into almost a contractual arrangement where you agree to give if you want to receive.

I do think they should take other steps to increase organ donation, such as an opt out, rather than opt in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think it'll work in Australia and I can see many people also saying yes they'll donate but instructing their family to not donate

I'd rather see Australia adopt the opt out system where everyone is assumed to be a doner unless they actively opt out of the system.

*If* the government/medical system does look at something like this, I'd also like to see blood doners (allowing for people who can't donate) also given preceedence over non-doners.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (07-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It sounds fair to be...ofcourse it's a complex and delicate issue - but if that was the only deciding factor left between two patients, I think it's fair the one who was willing to donate themselves receive.

The 'Opt Out' thing sounds interesting - has that been proposed in Australia before?

...re blood transfusions - If I could give I WOULD, and if DP could he WOULD, but unfortunatley due to my lifestyle near on 10 years ago..neither of us can.
    I think some other sort of testing system needs to come in to blood donations - both of us would LOVE to donate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    The 'Opt Out' thing sounds interesting - has that been proposed in Australia before?
    Not as far as I know, but I'd fully support an opt out rather than opt in - I wish we just had a system where family couldn't override your choice. It's a subject that's very close to my heart (well, kidneys actually) I really wish we could have some sort of overhaul.

I think people have the right to not donate (though I wish everyone would) and I don't think they should be penalised for making a personal choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Not as far as I know, but I'd fully support an opt out rather than opt in - I wish we just had a system where family couldn't override your choice. It's a subject that's very close to my heart (well, kidneys actually) I really wish we could have some sort of overhaul.

I think people have the right to not donate (though I wish everyone would) and I don't think they should be penalised for making a personal choice.
    Definately. If an adult has consented to donation, the matter should not be raised with their family, they have already given their consent.

I have to say I agree with the article, I can't see the fairness in accepting a donated organ if you yourself would not give the same gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I can see its appeal from a fairness perspective, but I prefer the greater good element of organ donation, rather than entering into almost a contractual arrangement where you agree to give if you want to receive.

I do think they should take other steps to increase organ donation, such as an opt out, rather than opt in.
    I also believe an opt out situation would be preferable to an opt in situation. I personally would be happy to have my organs, tissue, everything donated - first to a living person, or if not useful in that manner, to science. However, I would never sign up on a donor register. I simply tell close friends and family my views - and intend the have these intentions included in an Advanced Health Directive when I get around to writing one.

My reasons for not registering are superstitious at best:
    * Rumours I heard years ago of medical personal not trying as hard to save someone registered as a donor because they can be of more use to them dead.
    * The fact that it is really irrelevant because registering your intent is ignored and your next of kin have the final say.
    * Taunting fate - ie by registering as an organ donor, I am just asking for misfortune to befall me so that it might happen.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 07-05-2012 at 22:15. Reason: changed from "will" to "advanced health directive" Thank you to WorkingClassMum for pointing out my error.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One problem I do see with this concept however is that there are many people who medically cannot donate, and thus would be penalised. For example, someone suffering for HepC would not be eligable to donate.

Actually, considering the demand for organs I think such criteria shouldn't be used to completely rule someone out, but simply reduce their usefulness. For example, if a potential donor suffers from HepC, why couldn't their organs go to recipients that also have HepC?

PS: I just used HepC as an example, but think the same criteria should be used for many infectious conditions that are used to rule an organ unusable.