+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default Give and you Shall Recieve - organ donation is Israel

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As long as medical needs are still considered, I think it's fair.

And I agree - if there were 2 people of equal priority at the top of a donor list, I'd want my organ to go to the one who would pay it forward if it ever eventuated that way.

Obviously if there was one person who needed something most they should get it regardless of their status as a donor, but equal need? I'd prioritise the organ donor, yes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

delirium  (07-05-2012),SassyMummy  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am with rainbow on this one, seems fair to me. I actually cant understand someone taking an organ, yet wouldnt give one if the situation was reversed. It is just bizarre to me.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There are lots of reasons people don't want to donate. They may not have even thought about it before they needed an organ, which I guess puts them out of the running. Lots of people don't really think about life and death decisions until actually faced with it.

I am still not in the donate camp. I am not over the trauma of being from the givers side of donation. I might get there one day but if I need an organ before I have gotten over the previous trauma, then I guess I would be plumb out of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    There are lots of reasons people don't want to donate. They may not have even thought about it before they needed an organ, which I guess puts them out of the running. Lots of people don't really think about life and death decisions until actually faced with it.

I am still not in the donate camp. I am not over the trauma of being from the givers side of donation. I might get there one day but if I need an organ before I have gotten over the previous trauma, then I guess I would be plumb out of luck.
    But wouldn't those same reasons (whatever they are) stop you from taking? I was just saying to me, that is bizarre. Though I have never had to make such a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    IMO, that's quite reasonable.

If you're not willing to donate, why should you get the benefit of someone's donated organs over someone else who IS willing to be donor?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (07-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    But wouldn't those same reasons (whatever they are) stop you from taking? I was just saying to me, that is bizarre. Though I have never had to make such a decision.
    Not necessarily. Depends on what the reason is really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ana, I wasn't meaning to make light of your situation. If it came across rudely it wasn't meant to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    Thanks Ana, I wasn't meaning to make light of your situation. If it came across rudely it wasn't meant to.
    That's ok, I know what you meant

I think once people are actually faced with the need, in most instances they would want to take the organ on offer. But they many not have worked through whatever reasons they had for not donating.

Like eyes, for instance. lots of people who want to donate seem to stop short of wanting to donate their eyes. Logically, of course, you don't need your eyes any more than your heart, your lungs, your skin etc but there is a mental or emotional block that needs to be worked through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's fair. I know a fair few people who are against it because they feel it is gross, I'm sure if they were put in a life or death situation that they would think differently.
    My attitude is if I'm gone and somebody else can benefit from it then by all means take whatever you need, I am a full organ donor.

It's not like people aren't aware of organ donation, there are awareness campaigns and anyone who gets a licence needs to consent to it on the form.