+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My step-sis is bad for this. When she was pg with her bub, I gave her a heap of things. Not just clothes, but bigger items like play centres, rockers, bouncers, pram, high chair, wraps, blankets etc because I knew she had very little money. She never once said thank you. Now we're having another bub, she said she'd give us everything since we gave her so much, which is sweet... except I've seen her selling off her stuff on facebook websites. She has given me a couple of bags of clothes, but they are all the older/more worn clothes. I still thanked her, and I appreciate it as it's still a help, but I admit to being royally peed off that she is selling stuff that we got for her, and giving me the ones she won't get much for. Very rude.
    On another note, with my first baby I did the photo-of-an-outfit thing. With the second, I tried, but it gets harder the more stuff you're given and with dressing 2 kids instead of one... this baby I think I've got no hope at all! I will try though. And I always thank people. Even MIL, who still buys my daughters things I would never dress her in. We have spoken to her about it politely (she buys very innappropriate/revealing stuff) but she still buys them. Probably on purpose, she does not like me much. We always say thank you, but those things go straight to charity. I'm not dressing my 5 year old in knee high boots and a leather mini skirt.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't realise people hated overalls so much...

They have press studs on the bottom so it's easy to change a nappy and I think they're gorgeous on little people!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post

They have press studs on the bottom so it's easy to change a nappy and I think they're gorgeous on little people!
    I LOVE overalls

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (08-05-2012),RainbowSky  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd rather tell someone tell me not to give gifts and to make a donation in lieu or something I think
    Unfortunately most people aren't like that... With people we're close to we asked for no prezzies and still got them. With people we're not close to I don't feel comfortable asking for no prezzies because saying that sort of feel like they're expected to give stuff if you know what I mean... And with DS1's birthday, if people asked what to get him we said to chip in for his big boy bed - but again, I wouldn't feel comfortable actually asking people for it (other than close family which we did).

It just feels rude directing people in their gift giving, so I mostly suck it up and say thank you, it's lovely :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I ask people (friends, mostly) not to give gifts a lot of the time, but they still do. Most gifts get given to charity.

I also ask close family and friends not to buy plastic toys, but they still do. It sounds spoilt, but I would rather they save their money and the earth.

It's a lose-lose situation really, on one hand you are considered ungrateful and on the other hand...ungrateful again.
    Exactly how I feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think overalls look adorable on little ones!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i am in the anti overall corner too. Especially with cloth bums, they don't make them wide enough for big fat fluffy bums. Those press studs are a PITA as well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    you really can't win, hey? You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I love them, they're so cute. But yeah, hard to use with cloth.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a bit ott to have to take photos etc, I think you're thinking too much into it. However it IS only polite to thank someone if they give you something for your child, even if you think they're horrid looking and they get thrown straight into the back of the cupboard.

That being said I can remember when I got about 4 outfits in a row from a relative that were just plain fugly. I never once dressed my son in them (one of them was a buttercup yellow growsuit with a bunny stitched on it in bright pink and it was HORRIBLE materiel). I thanked her profusely when she gave it to me but never once dressed him in it.
    I was asked when I visited why I hadn't dressed DS in it for the visit and I had to lie and say that he screamed the whole time in it because his feet were a touch too large for the feet covers. I felt bad about lying, but I had to. She thought I'd think it was adorable! Yeah... For a little girl maybe.