+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate teddy bears too! They are a waste of space! I recently gave 30 of the stupid things to charity.
    DS has his tiny little sleepy ted that he sleeps with and thats it, well actually he has 3 of the same one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melimum View Post
    I agree, I always take a pic to send (which is easy to do on my phone then txt it off) or when we visit I'll dress dd in it. If I don't happen to take a photo I'll always tell whoever that she wore it and looked so adorable/ got lots of comments on it etc. And I always always always thank the person. It's just the way I was brought up to be polite and gracious. I think it's very rude to not even say thank you.
    This is me too. I've thought all the clothes that dd has gotten have been so cute and wonder why or how anyone can think something is disgusting and not allow there child the gift that was for them. If I havnt put dd in the clothes the next time the gift giver sees us I will definitely tell them how cute they looked in it. And definitely say thank you. If it wasn't handed directly to me I would call them or txt them to say thank you. There really is no excuse not to be polite and appreciative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'm quite surprised at how unwelcome some gifts are! No stuffed toys, don't try to buy anything 'too special', don't buy a special outfit that might trump what the parents buy... I'm getting the impression some gifts are viewed as an imposition. I don't personally like every gift I get, but I sure do appreciate everything we're given and let the giver know that.

I agree its good manners to dress them in the outfit, or send a photo in a thank you card or at the very least, give a genuine thank you and tell them next time you see them that the gift is used and appreciated. I think that if you don't show gratitude and grace when receiving a gift then you shouldn't expect many gifts...
    I totally agree!! Gosh some people are funny with gifts...

RR, what you bought was absolutely gorgeous and very thoughtful!!

Your SIL is just rude. There is no excuse for not acknowledging a gift yet so many people fail to. Its hurtful.

Maybe just buy him something generic next time.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    Oh wow, I must be terrible! If I don't like the outfit, I say thank you and give it away to charity or pass it onto somebody who has different taste. I won't put it on DS unless DH and I like it. I've received 4 pairs of overalls and I've given them away because I absolutely hate them.
    When I do keep a gift, I say thank you but I don't put it on DS when we see that person the next time. I just put anything on him for that day.
    I do give outfits away to charity if I don't like them (which is most of the time...I have particular taste. Not saying i'm ungrateful though)...but I will pop it on him for a photo first. Honestly though, I think saying thank you is enough, you're not a terrible person. As long as the gift isn't being disregarded like the OP mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Could this be a reflection of how good your relationship/friendship is? My sister & mum are forever buying DS clothes, and I feel terrible for admitting this but I don’t know how often I make a point of saying ‘thank you for the clothes’… it might be a ‘cheers’ when talking or in general conversation and vice versea with them. We’re really close and talk ALL the time so it more shows just good our friendships are. Same goes to my bestfriend, we are always toing and froing gifts for the kids I don’t expect a full blown acknowledgement for it though, but I’m sure a thanks DOES get tossed around somewhere !

I don’t dress DS in clothes specifically to take pics and send but if they are in an outfit that has been gifted and I remember I will take a pic and send it. And same goes with outfits, I do try and put certain outfits on that people have bought him. Mainly MIL as she only sees him a couple times a year and does buy him lots of clothes.

I feel like a total b!tch now! I do thank anyone else that gifts DS, apparently I only treat my nearest and dearest like cr@p!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, I must be terrible! If I don't like the outfit, I say thank you and give it away to charity or pass it onto somebody who has different taste. I won't put it on DS unless DH and I like it. I've received 4 pairs of overalls and I've given them away because I absolutely hate them.
    When I do keep a gift, I say thank you but I don't put it on DS when we see that person the next time. I just put anything on him for that day.
    You're not terrible, I do the same, politely say thank you a d give them away. I can't stand overalls either! They look cute but an absolute pain to put on and take off. If it's someone we're close to who buys us lots of stuff (eg my folks) I actually thank them and say its a pain and ask them to give it to someone else or exchange it - that way they stop buying us things we dislike.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'm quite surprised at how unwelcome some gifts are! No stuffed toys, don't try to buy anything 'too special', don't buy a special outfit that might trump what the parents buy... I'm getting the impression some gifts are viewed as an imposition. I don't personally like every gift I get, but I sure do appreciate everything we're given and let the giver know that.

I agree its good manners to dress them in the outfit, or send a photo in a thank you card or at the very least, give a genuine thank you and tell them next time you see them that the gift is used and appreciated. I think that if you don't show gratitude and grace when receiving a gift then you shouldn't expect many gifts...
    I always thanks people for their gifts, but if it wasn't considered rude I'd ask them to please not give us anything. I feel that gift giving is a massive waste of resources - plastic toys, stuffed toys, etc - things that aren't needed are often not used. A shame really, a waste of both money and the environment. Especially for DS2 as he was born the same time of year as DS1 so we really have everything.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    I always thanks people for their gifts, but if it wasn't considered rude I'd ask them to please not give us anything. I feel that gift giving is a massive waste of resources - plastic toys, stuffed toys, etc - things that aren't needed are often not used. A shame really, a waste of both money and the environment. Especially for DS2 as he was born the same time of year as DS1 so we really have everything.
    I'd rather tell someone tell me not to give gifts and to make a donation in lieu or something I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate overalls too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angeltj For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ask people (friends, mostly) not to give gifts a lot of the time, but they still do. Most gifts get given to charity.

I also ask close family and friends not to buy plastic toys, but they still do. It sounds spoilt, but I would rather they save their money and the earth.

It's a lose-lose situation really, on one hand you are considered ungrateful and on the other hand...ungrateful again.