+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I say thanks but that's it. I don't think anyone other than MIL expects photos of the girls in the clothes she gives. My mum does sometimes but she knows I really am sucky at doing that so has given up asking. I think appreciation of the gifts with a thankyou is enough for me whether or not I'm the receiver or the giver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm quite surprised at how unwelcome some gifts are! No stuffed toys, don't try to buy anything 'too special', don't buy a special outfit that might trump what the parents buy... I'm getting the impression some gifts are viewed as an imposition. I don't personally like every gift I get, but I sure do appreciate everything we're given and let the giver know that.

I agree its good manners to dress them in the outfit, or send a photo in a thank you card or at the very least, give a genuine thank you and tell them next time you see them that the gift is used and appreciated. I think that if you don't show gratitude and grace when receiving a gift then you shouldn't expect many gifts...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (08-05-2012),RainbowSky  (08-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    OP, i think with the stuffed toy...it was possibly an overstep...it is something a parent likes to do...chose their kids "snuggly".

It is def rude not to say thank you...i would even ask for the clothes back when they are "finished with them" because you would love to add to your "future babies wardrobe".

If it is going to grate on you though...i would gently raise it.
    really? an overstep? I don't mean I bought it saying 'I want this to be his favourite cuddly toy' - just that we bought it not as a filler gift, but something he could have to remind him of his aunties...but he never had the chance to love it as it's still sitting on the shelf with the tag on it in her bedroom - not even his nursery.

It's strange because it seems like what you'd do with someone you don't like, not someone you get along well with? Anomalous to our relationship...

Like I said, not going to raise it with her, just was curious if I'm in the minority with the whole 'showing' someone you appreciate their gift as well as thanking them...

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP I would stop buying him lovely clothes and start buying really noisy annoying plastic toys. That'll learn your SIL

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

bada  (08-05-2012),MissMuppet  (08-05-2012),rainbow road  (08-05-2012),Witwicky  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    OP I would stop buying him lovely clothes and start buying really noisy annoying plastic toys. That'll learn your SIL

This hahaha!!!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews

Every time I see something I want to buy him, I'm going to put that money into my savings account instead so when the time comes I can spend big on my own little one

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post

Perfect advice. There is a Fisher Price toy bus that sings an *incredibly* annoying song, I highly recommend it in situations like this

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    I've never done that unless the person asked me for a pic of the kids in it (always people interstate or overseas).

I do always thank anyone who gives the boys a present, whatever it is.

Re the stuffed toy - a bit off topic but I hate them! It's the presents I dislike the most and most of the ones we were given moved on to opp shops. We got so many and they just gather dust, DS1 didn't care for them at all till he was over 2yo and even now there's just 2 he likes (and he asked for them in a shop), and DS2 doesn't care for them. There's nothing much you can do with them... Most kids I know have a stuffed toy or two they really like and the rest is just really good hangout space for dust :-( if there's one thing I'd never buy people/kids is stuffed toys, no matter how gorgeous they are.
    Oh I completely agree, re: stuffed toys. HATE them. Will never buy them. My son has one favourite, the rest are space wasters - he doesn't like playing with them or cuddling them. Such a PIA.

My sister feels exactly the same, until now I thought we were the only ones!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree re the stuffed toys. Hate them and refuse to buy them as gifts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, I must be terrible! If I don't like the outfit, I say thank you and give it away to charity or pass it onto somebody who has different taste. I won't put it on DS unless DH and I like it. I've received 4 pairs of overalls and I've given them away because I absolutely hate them.
    When I do keep a gift, I say thank you but I don't put it on DS when we see that person the next time. I just put anything on him for that day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast