+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Another thing we did was run internet cabling/points all through the house when the electrical rough in was done. Not for the computers but for tv's, media players, pay tv etc.

ETA. Don't forget a broom cupboard for mops, buckets, vacuum as well as the linen cupboard.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 07-05-2012 at 15:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great ideas all over!

We rent and whoever built this house built for their height as everything is really low and as a tall family it's a b!tch brushing our teeth as the sinks so low and also so very shallow.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are building right now, should be completed August/September! So I'm going to have far too much to say, my apologies in advance

My biggest tip is to focus on the "bones" of the house. Get them right, and down the track you can tweak the other things. The floor plan, ceiling heights, quality windows, double glazing, all things that are easy to skimp on during the planning stage and almost impossible to change in years to come.

Also consider "superfluous" rooms... Rumpuses, theatre room, saunas, all well and good if you have an abundance of space and money. For us, however, it was impossible to go over a certain size so every additional room ate into another one. We went from three skimpy kids' bedrooms and a rumpus upstairs to three lovely big kids' bedrooms with no rumpus and now have a gorgeous void area as well.

We spent extra on double glazing, better window frames, underfloor heating and a solid timber staircase. Also consider spending more on those things that you touch every day. You can spend a lot of money on glossy kitchen cupboard doors, but your money is probably better spent on good handles, hinges and drawers, as these are the things you will actually be using repeatedly.

Think about how you live. We revolve around our family room, so we've made it the hub of the house. It's huge, but the formal living is tiny and we have no formal dining; why use up valuable floor space on a room we'll use once a year? I have six people to wash for, so I put extra room into my laundry and less into my ensuite. Making your backyard a really functional space effectively gives you another living room, so good use of paving and retaining walls where necessary to get flat, usable space can be a great investment.

Be prepared for a huge jump in prices when comparing basic inclusions to display home standard. Those enormous goose neck kitchen taps are about $1000 dearer than a basic one, same goes for the long, stainless steel door handles. Easy areas to shave off a bit of money

And get built-in shelving alcoves in your showers!
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-05-2012 at 20:30.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh yes and tiles - I agree with pp, do not go with white or light tiles. Such a PIA to clean! Every little speck of dirt shows up.
    Or Matt black. They look awesome, but show every single mark

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post
    Or Matt black. They look awesome, but show every single mark
    Or dark brown carpet .

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have white tiles and dark brown carpet in this rental!!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I have white tiles and dark brown carpet in this rental!!
    We built this place and put down creamish tiles, dark brown carpets in the bedrooms and dark purple/grey carpet in media room. Love them ... the cream tiles hide spills so much better than the dark brown ones we put down in our last place. The dark carpet shows fluff/pet hair but the greyish carpet at our last place seemed to look dirty quickly, so I'm happier with the fluff.

A must here in Qld too was tinted windows, thermal curtains, eves and we went for a steeper pitched roof as well (increased to 25 degrees instead of standard 20-22 offered) to keep the heat as far from the ceiling as possible, plus whirly birds.

Also increased insulation and sarking to keep the heat out (in our case) or in for colder climates.

I should have put a sky light/vent in the WIR for natural light and a bit of ventilation.

Because we have higher ceilings we wanted to utilise the space for storage (add pulldown stairs to the manhole) but didn't think to mention it to builder, so the roof trusses are not configured to use the space, so we've wasted that space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Or dark brown carpet .
    I love, love, love my dark brown carpet. Yes you do see fluff and such but you don't get the grotty wear marks on it. After a year and a half my dark brown carpet still looks brand new. My cream carpet after that same time was looking dull.

We added an extra 2m to the depth of our garage so that we have alot of great storage there.

I have a sliding door on my laundry to the outside so I am not trying to manage a door with a full basket of washing.

Think of your outdoor lighting needs. Easy to do it now yet not included in alot of homes.

Actually look at what the dimensions of a room look like. The bedrooms in your plan look big because they draw them with big beds and lots of space but the reality is a lot different. Go and measure your kids current bedrooms and compare them with the plan. We did this and ended up adding an extra metre to each bedroom.

Storage and powerpoints everywhere.

We added a very large alfresco because to add it later would mean bad roof lines adding it at the start ment the roof was all intergrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emmwill View Post
    I love, love, love my dark brown carpet. Yes you do see fluff and such but you don't get the grotty wear marks on it. After a year and a half my dark brown carpet still looks brand new. My cream carpet after that same time was looking dull.
    I wouldn't recommend cream either! My dark brown carpet is the absolute bane of my housework life. Mind you, I'm talking about very, very dark brown, eg

carpet2.jpg

The best carpet we've had for both wear and fluff was a mid-tone brown, much like this:

carpet1.jpg

We took a whole bunch of carpet samples out to the house and laid them on the floor. While we were umming and ahhing, our then three-year-old ran around and around the dusty concrete floor, then took a detour across the samples with his incredibly dusty shoes on... We knew instantly which one we had to choose!
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-05-2012 at 18:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can never have enough storage... add more if you can then more hehe

same for power points.

Really think about where you want your PowerPoint/ tv points. We didn't and then had to pay to have another tv one put in