+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Don't use painters provided by the big companies. My dp is a painter who works for himself. He is currently painting the interior of a house and the owner got the outside done by sovereign homes painters cause he wanted it done ASAP. The painter is painting in thongs while drinking beer all day. I'm tempted to ring sovereign but I'm hoping the neighbours dob. Find a word of mouth painter. Dp has fixed up so many dodgy jobs it's not funny. Specially new houses cause its empty it's a quick easy job.
    Spot on because they charge a arm & leg, we waited until we got the house keys to get ours painted & it has been alot cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure where you live, but if it's in Perth then think carefully about the size of the eaves and the diameter of the gutters. Standard house plans here seem to have ludicrously small eaves, which is absolutely insane somewhere with a lot of hot sunshine. They also tend to use really small diameter gutters and downpipes, which are fine when it's raining lightly, but they simply can't handle the amount of water when a good storm comes through.

I'd also consider positioning the man-hole cover in an area of the roof that would allow you to install a drop-down ladder and in-roof storage space (if you have sufficient roof height). I'd love to install one in our current house, but the beams run in the wrong direction to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also we got condute in ea bedroom so if you ever put tvs on the wall you won't see the cords or if you got fans installed it would be easier to have them installed

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow so many helpful replies! Thanks everyone keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummytopeanut View Post
    Also we got condute in ea bedroom so if you ever put tvs on the wall you won't see the cords or if you got fans installed it would be easier to have them installed
    Sorry, what's condute? We are interested in doing what you mentioned but I'm not really sure how you would go about it?

Eta hubby knows about this just did feel the need to explain it too me, he has now
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 07-05-2012 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Wow so many helpful replies! Thanks everyone keep them coming!

Sorry, what's condute? We are interested in doing what you mentioned but I'm not really sure how you would go about it?

Eta hubby knows about this just did feel the need to explain it too me, he has now
    Plastic pipes/tube that electrions use

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would always add when building higher ceilings, I think it improves every home. Also I love the ducted vacuum system where you can also have it connected to a flap in the kitchen kicker and just need to sweep floors into the kicker and it goes into the vac system. A great idea with little kids and crumbs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't forget a broom cupboard in your laundry! Often these are not included on standard plans. It irritates me so much!

I second the power point in the hallway for vacuuming, we sorta have two hallways, but only one has a power point and so I need to move the plug twice to vac that section of the house cause I have to use a point in the bathroom and then move it to a bedroom.

Get the weep (sp?) holes covered before you move in, we now have mice in our roof because the crawled in through the weep holes and they suck!

When you look at the plans, map out on a floor somewhere the exact dimensions of the ensuite etc, ours is massive and while that is good, I would rather have put some of that space into our room.

Go for dark tiles and grout in wet areas, so much better to clean and they won't get stained like light grouting does.

Go to the site and check every day if you can, saves mucking around later if you can pick up any mistakes early. We picked up during the framing that the fourth bedroom had a wardrobe when it was supposed to be the other way so it could be a linen press. So they were able to fix that easily.

I'll add more if I think of any

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've lived in several houses over the last five years. Some things I can think of:

I second the paint suggestion. The house we are in at the moment has really skimped on paint. It comes off all the time - the house is brand new but it already looks very worn because the paint keeps chipping off. For example, we removed some baby gates the other day and it took away four circles of paint. That's never happened in the other houses where we have used baby gates. I can't use those sticky things on walls which don't take the paint off, because they do. It's like we can't ever go near the walls.

Make sure there is enough room for a modern fridge (most fridges these days are quite wide, yet a lot of houses only have space for a skinny fridge. Also make sure you can open the fridge door. Haha.

Definitely make sure there are enough power points. It is so frustrating not having enough. Particularly when vacuuming.

Allow for plenty of storage and a big pantry. I would also include a storage closet actually in the bathroom and storage in the garage. Make sure the clothes closets are not too narrow.

I also second the shower. All four of us shower together a lot of the time as we have a large rectangle shower. We went to do this at my Mum's house but it was impossible. I could barely fit in it myself! Also make sure the bathtub is not too shallow (same goes for kitchen sink).

For bedrooms - I prefer double sized rooms for ALL rooms, not just the master. Our spare room has a Queen sized bed in it and there is no spare room at all The bed takes up the whole room.

Wide doorways - I don't know why so many houses have extremely narrow doorways, but it's a PIA getting furniture in and out.

Include organisational shelving for pots and pans (like racks). I also prefer drawers as shelves for crockery etc, instead of shelves that don't move. It's so much easier to pull a shelf out to get a cup etc. Everything is just way more accessible.

Also, two toilets is always an excellent idea We have three at the moment, which is a bit OTT for our needs, but have lived in a house with just one toilet and that was annoying.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Haileys Mummy  (07-05-2012),Rutabaga  (07-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yes and tiles - I agree with pp, do not go with white or light tiles. Such a PIA to clean! Every little speck of dirt shows up.

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We recently bought a house that was originally built by a builder for his own home, it has all the little amazing extras we wanted in a build so we decided to buy this and modernise instead, some have already been mentioned but I'll list them anyway;

Extra wide garage - we have 2 ford territory's and a motorbike, storage space for cricket bats, deck chairs and sports equipment is also in the extra 1.5m we have

3 way bathroom - nothing worse than 1 in the shower and 2 moaning they can't do their hair, makeup, poke zits etc, 3 way a must with 2 girls

Kitchen lighting - totally agree, nothing worse than working in a shadow

Powerpoints and then some - we have 4 doubles in EACH room, except the laundry it only has 3 (poor laundry) we have also recently installed these AV points behind the wall mounted tv's so we plug everything into a hub on the wall, no unsightly cords.

Door from garage straight into house - god send in 40deg heat and pouring rain

Utility area - nothing worse than smelly bins or undies on the line when you are entertaining outdoors, make sure you garden plans, house plans & the block you buy allow for a utility area

Storage - use full ceiling to floor height in cupboards, robes and pantries, customise the robe interiors to suit your families needs, we had custom robes instralled at the last place, extra wide drawers installed for underwear and a full half of shelving, kids don't hang much up, best thing I ever did, lots of storage for toys, sleeping bags etc

Builders 'Extras' - we were about to sign for a build and one thing I noticed was a chrome kick panel in the kitchen, we had them reprice it to normal kitchen cupboard material & saved enough to build a double, full height cupboard in the laundry

Heat extractors - we have these in our roof, they extract heat from the ceiling void during warm weather and help cool the house

Eaves - lots of builders are removing eaves from their plans, they provide a small amount of shade and are important for another reason which my preggo brain can't remember, make sure you have eaves.

Entry/ Hallay Cupboard - aka Harry Potters Room (it's under the stairs) great for throwing bags, shoes, bike helmets etc, stops clutter gathering in the kitchen around the bench. Think of creative ways to use every bit of space as storage, underneath the other side of our double stairwell is DD's indoor cubby

Easements - check your block of easements, you can't build a permanent structure over them so there goes plans for sheds, pools etc

Think of things you want v's the things you need and what you must do now v's what can be done later. My friend recently built her dream home which was way out of their budget for the final product so she made some compromises, She had the ensuite built and plumbing installed but nothing else, no tiles, no shower etc, no light fittings or floor coverings through out the entire house in exchange for a concrete drive and path around the house , they got the dream kitchen installed but have no cupboards at all in the laundry. Seems a little weird to some but she can fit out the ensuite and laundry later, it's cheaper than building again if she were to have downsized, new carpets would have got ruined without a concrete drive and paths. She got a 3 car wide carport instead of a 2 car garage, huby will brick it into a garage later but in the meantime the money she saved covered the cost of the heating/cooling system she wanted. She gave up the pergola for a couple of years to have high ceilings, she has a 3 car carport thought works a treat though Not for everyone but something to consider if you need room and can wait for luxuries.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to In My Stride For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (07-05-2012),Silver_Lining  (28-04-2013)