Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And a huge laundry!!

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    How did the owner builder thing work? We are Southern Perth and would like a little bit of land to build (2.5-5 acres) but we need a BIG house for 4 growing children and maybe a grandfather.
    Really scared of the costs with building on land as we have only built on suburb blocks before.
    We bought 360 acres of land and had to put power to it

Our house is huge. It's a 4 x 2 (if I could do it again I'd bang one more room on, however we are thinking of adding a 2 bedroom donga out the back for guests.
    Cost for building including power, water tanks etc was $230K.
    If we went through a builder it would gve been a crap load more and that would be without power/tanks etc

You just have to get owner/builder approval - fairly straight forward. If you don't have building knowledge then you will have to do a 2 day course. DH has a landscaping business and puts up sheds so they where happy with his amount of knowledge.

Then you either get tradies in to do the work or do it yourself or both.
    Ours was;
    DH did all earthworks
    Friend (plumber) did plumbing
    DH and brother did slab
    DH and I ground and polished slab
    DH and friend (works for summit homes) did frames and corrie on the outside
    Got a tradie in for windows
    Got a gypie in to do gyprock
    DH insulated
    Friend (electrician) did all electrical work)
    I painted everything
    Got a cabinet maker to do cupboards
    Friend did wardrobes, doors, frames etc
    Tradie for carpet
    Tradie for mirrors
    Tradie for tiling
    Etc etc etc

We moved in when it was almost finished and are still chipping away. Inside is about %90 finished and now we are on to outside.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    Lost our little squirt 20/11/13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are building and after living in quite a few houses I knew the "practical" must haves I couldn't live without in this place. 1) house built in relation to the direction the sun comes in. 2) tiles, cupboards, grout, handles were all picked in easy to keep clean tones/materials 3) drive through garage to the back yard. 4) lots of built in storage 5) sourced our own brands of kitchen appliances so I could get the quietest dishwasher/ oven I wanted without the extra mark up etc. 6) washing line accessible from laundry. 7) 2 section garden with plenty of room for our dogs on one section when entertaining - doggy door straight into the laundry which angles onto the family room so they are with us but not under my feet when I need some space. 8) master bedroom has robes plus hidden WIR. Good luck with the build!!

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for wen we build our next house

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the process of building our 2nd home, a few things I'm doing this time which I didn't last time are;
    - Doors to main robe, and minor bedrooms (which we didn't have the first time).
    - Built in cupboards and bench in the laundry, so I can actually do my laundry "in" the laundry!
    - Closed in garage, our last was half garage/half carport. We really need a closed in outdoor area for hubby's stuff.
    - Darker carpets, cream carpets and kids don't mix!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TotSnot View Post
    - Darker carpets, cream carpets and kids don't mix!
    Don't go too dark otherwise you have to vacuum a few times a day! We have dark grey/brown and you see every bit of fluff/dust/hair. I no longer see dirty marks, but it always look like I need to vacuum.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    Don't go too dark otherwise you have to vacuum a few times a day! We have dark grey/brown and you see every bit of fluff/dust/hair. I no longer see dirty marks, but it always look like I need to vacuum.
    Yep! I went a medium colour. Which are perfect although I get the occasional wolf spider in my house and they sort of blend in with the carpet which is awful!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    Lost our little squirt 20/11/13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Better yet, no carpet at all. We ripped up all the carpet in our home and replaced with floor boards. We have just bought again and will do the same.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have network cables installed to all bedrooms, living room, study and the kitchen: that way you can take advantage of quick wired Internet throughout the whole house without cables or relying on wifi.

Install your powerpoint as wide doubles instead of normal doubles so you can fit two transformer type plugs side by side. Consider having two wide double points next to each other instead of a four way point - you can't buy wide four way points.

If you like Christmas lights (like we do) install wide double external power points under the eaves to make it easier to plug in your Christmas lights without power packs and extension cords everywhere. Also think about external points you might need for future garden lighting, water features, pressure washing the house, etc. If you out them back to back on internal points it's cheaper and easier.

Ceiling fans in each room including the entertaining area!

Have the tiles installed in the kitchen before kitchen cabinetry so if you want to move any of it later the floor is still ok.

Get an in-sink garbage disposal!

There would be more but that will do for now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing