+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should i wake him?

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question - I'm very new to all of this and not quite sure what I'm doing lol.

2 week old DS normally has a feed at around 7:30pm then sleeps til 3:00am ish, and I was initially worried about him going hungry for that long... Is it normal for a little one to sleep that long without getting hungry?

The issue is that tonight he brought that feed forward to 6pm, went to sleep around 7 and he is STILL asleep now. He has stirred a couple of times but then goes back to sleep. It has been almost 10 hours without a feed, my boobs are huge and getting painful, should I wake him to feed??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS did the same thing at this age.
    They are just establishing their sleeping routine.

I'd say leave it and enjoy the extra sleep.

Also if you are quite sore you could have a warm shower and express a little to ease it.

Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (07-05-2012),tatia&shura  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would wake him..
    It's a bit long to go without a feed I think.. Mines 3 weeks and longest she's gone is 5 hours they told me in hospital and my health nurse told me last week, the max to let them go is around 6 hours at night, it won't do him any harm to wake him and wont make him a bad sleeper and will make u more comfortable too...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bimbie For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (07-05-2012),just her chameleon  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to wake him but even changing his nappy wouldn't wake him enough to latch on. He just dribbled everywhere lol. I will try again soon. I just worry that he is starving, I know I would be!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby. Trust me when I say that he will wake up when he is hungry, until then enjoy the extra sleep as he will probably not sleep this much for long

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheetara For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (07-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (07-05-2012),tatia&shura  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bimbie View Post
    I would wake him..
    It's a bit long to go without a feed I think.. Mines 3 weeks and longest she's gone is 5 hours they told me in hospital and my health nurse told me last week, the max to let them go is around 6 hours at night, it won't do him any harm to wake him and wont make him a bad sleeper and will make u more comfortable too...
    ^ I agree totally.. 6hrs max is what I was told by midwives too. Also at that early age, I would be trying to get as much milk as you can into bub, they need it. I wouldn't be expressing too much off (if any). Don't waste that precious booobie juice!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Melzey For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I wouldnt wake either. I know the middies say that they should be feeding every XX hours but honestly this sleeping through wont be lasting long at all!

If bubs is happy and alert when awake, putting on weight and having lots of wet nappies then he is getting enough.

As one of the other pps said...they are just working out their sleep routines and at 2 weeks it will change again in a week or two.

DD is almost 6 mo now and started off as yours did....slept awesomely at night I was thinking how fab this was as I was getting sleep and then she did what I call 'waking up'. Its like when they are newbies the sleep all the time and its great and then a couple of weeks in they realise they are no longer in the womb and there is a whole world out there and they want to stay awake ALL.THE.TIME.

Probably at about 4 weeks DD decided that sleep was not for her at all and she only slept for 20min blocks during the day and at night started waking 3 or 4 times for a feed and would be awake for 1.5 hours each time.

Now she has settled into a routine but I am sure it will change again!

Honestlt as long as bubs is thriving let him sleep! And get as much sleep as you can.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (07-05-2012),HugsBunny  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When mine was a newborn, I was told by the nurses at hospital to wake her every 3-4 hrs for a feed, which I did all day and nite (against mum and friends' advice to never wake a sleeping baby). Boy do I regret that! She didn't start sleeping thru the nite till 18 mths, and that's a long time to go without a full nites sleep!! U can bet I'm not doing the same with number 2!!

At that early stage, they are still figuring out their routines... I'd let ur little one sleep in a few weeks, bub's going to be a lot more awake and ur going to long for the time bub slept 10hrs straight!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jo7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let him sleep & enjoy it while it lasts.

As long as he has plenty of wet nappies follow your gut.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My rule of thumb is 'never wake a sleeping baby'.

They're bodies know what they need and if he was hungry, he'd wake for a feed.

So long as there are wet nappies being had and good feeds through the day, enjoy the sleep while it lasts!!

As for being sore and full, hire a breast pump from the chemist or hospital and express the milk off and freeze it. This will help keep your supply up too because if you don't express or feed, your body will think it doesn't need to produce that extra milk.

Milk is a supply and demand thing. If its not being Used, it's not going to be produced.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post: