+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    :twiggy sticks.. Cherry tomataos and cheese.

:cherry tomatos..cucumber and carrot.

: cobs of corn

:banana cut up in yogurt

: boiled egg

I put these combos in little dividing containers.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    You've already had the nut thing explained in another thread, nut allergies dont just give the kid a belly ache, even a tiny amount can (and had) killed children so if a kid eats a nut and doesn't wash their hands properly (what kid does)go then they are potentially going to kill another child ...

As for lunches Ds takes carrot and cucumber sticks with coleslaw or thousand island dressing, tinned corn, corn crackers with Vegemite, mandarins, grapes, apple pieces, a tub with yogurt in it, an orange cut and peeled, if its a warmer day freeze the orange and by lunch it should be defrosted but nice and cold

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Actually it wasn't explained clearly such as biscotti just did! Thanks biscotti for a nice informative post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegreengeisha View Post
    :twiggy sticks.. Cherry tomataos and cheese.

:cherry tomatos..cucumber and carrot.

: cobs of corn

:banana cut up in yogurt

: boiled egg

I put these combos in little dividing containers.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    He loves any veggies and fruit. Will give the cherry tomatoes and cucumber a go. I do give him carrot and cheese already. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Yeah, sure, but really? I'm a vegetarian and complete health nut.. Even I eat dried fruit!

***Sent from my phone***
    Yes frustrating! They may be high in sugar but if ds has a packet of those they are the only thing containing sugar he will get that day so it shouldn't be such a big deal! They also won't allow it because of the possible nut contamination

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes frustrating! They may be high in sugar but if ds has a packet of those they are the only thing containing sugar he will get that day so it shouldn't be such a big deal! They also won't allow it because of the possible nut contamination

Mmm interesting. Thank goodness my son's kindy don't care about all this stuff! Nuts are a no no hut everything else is allowed :-) they do encourage healthy eating but nothing gets sent home etc etc
    ***Sent from my phone***

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have no egg or nuts or traces of egg or nut at ds's preschool, EVERYTHING has traces of egg or
    Nut. So frustrating to find products that comply. so ds gets nothing packaged

For morning tea I send ds a nudie tube thing with watermelon in one cheese and Crackers in another and grapes(always cut in half) or saltanas in another

Sometimes I replace the Crackers with cherry tomatoes and twiggy sticks.

For lunch he gets either salad or pasta sometimes tuna or salmon patties and watermelon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tomorrow she has:

Mighty Mite sadwich on gf bread
    Rinced red kidney beans, cucumber, carrot and celery
    Zucchini and spinach slice
    Banana
    Apple
    Soy yoghurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask about kids who need a high fat content and sugar in thier diet. Dd1 starts school next yr and I am now conserned about what I will be able to send with her. She needs a high fat and a decent amount of sugar ( simple and complex carbs)each day due to having an extremely fast metabolism. At the moment we feed her up on dairy, avocado and nuts to get her fats and tend to make home made cakes and biscuits. I understand she won't be able to take nuts next yr but by the sounds of alot of places they can only have veg salad and meat she will have hypos and be very lethargic if that's all she is allowed. This has only just occurred to me as her preschool feeds her and knows to feed her up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    carrot sticks/cucumber sticks/toasted pita bread cut into triangles with homemade dip
    salad/chicken wrap
    boiled eggs (if eggs allowed)
    pasta salad
    rice cakes
    natural yoghurt with berries
    fritters
    savoury muffins
    plain popcorn if allowed

I find the no nut policy extremely easy to get around. It's easy enough to not pack a prepackaged muesli bar and I just give him almonds/cashews for afternoon tea if I feel he could use the good fats.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Same goes for the allergy issues re not being able to send ds in with a peanut butter sandwich. Surely kids that do have allergies are educated and aware at 4yrs old what they can't have though!?
    Another thing with the nuts is sometimes their allergy can be so severe that its an airborne allergy. Or like a little boy we met that used to go to a playgroup with DD1 when she was little. He was so severe that they asked that all people attending not to have nuts that morning even if they brush their teeth and wash their hands well. Poor thing had had an anaphylactic reaction in the past in those circumstances.

With snacks my girls take different things. Sometimes a tin of tuna will get added to their lunch box with some littel slices of a french bread stick. They also like mountain bread wraps. BBQ chicken or other leftover meat in their sandwiches or wrap. DD3 especially loves a container of cucumber sticks or those mini cucumbers and some snow peas. DD2 prefers baby carrots or carrot sticks and some slices of capsicum.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 08-05-2012 at 12:05.