+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lunch box ideas please!

Ds goes to kindy 4 half days a week then goes to daycare affterwards for the afternoons.

He has to take a piece of fruit to put in the fruit bowl at kindy plus lunch and because he goes to daycare in the afternoon and misses lunch there I like to ensure he has extra to eat.

So generally I pack him either a sandwich of Vegemite or Vegemite and cheese, occasionally a jam sandwich or polony and tomato or Sao or cruskits with Vegemite or a few slices of pizza and then 3 snacks such as yogurt, cheese sticks, a piece of fruit.

The issue I have is finding suitable snacks as there are lunch box police at school and daycare. You are not allowed to send in sultanas, cracker biscuits with cheese, muesli bars or any other biscuits even if healthy home made ones with low sugar. They monitor the sugar content and you aren't allowed to pack anything with nuts due to kids with allergies.

I find this incredibly frustrating as I like to give ds a variety instead of the same each day but there are so many things I can't pack in his lunch box.
    Dh and I are very sugar conscious so it annoys me when told we can't send in this or that due to the sugar content, I guess there are parents who aren't as sugar concious, perhaps not at all concerned about how much sugar they give their children but if we were to send ds a muesli bar in his lunch box where perhaps the sugar is high it's not like we give him that every day. The way I see it as we should be able to give our children what we like. Same goes for the allergy issues re not being able to send ds in with a peanut butter sandwich. Surely kids that do have allergies are educated and aware at 4yrs old what they can't have though!?

Anyone have any ideas of acceptable snacks to put in lunch boxes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    whilst I dont agree with you on the nut issue - some kids are so badly anaphalactic that even touching someone who has got peanuts on them can send them off!!

lunch options

zucchini slice
    savoury muffins
    frittatas
    tacos
    burritos
    ham/cheese, salad/cheese, chicken/salad etc wraps
    tuna fish cakes
    homemade sausage rolls
    homemade veg/ricotta rolls
    chicken drumsticks (mini) with steamed veges
    Falafels
    meatballs
    arancini
    spinach/ricotta filos
    samosas - veg/non veg
    tempura veges
    sushi
    meat pies

All the above I have made and sent with my DD to daycare since she was 16mths old. She is 21mths old now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put some lentils in the lunchbox as a decoy, and sew a secret compartment into his backpack for the real food. I don't like high-sugar food, but school Lunch Nazis are worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Salads are great,
    Tuna or salmon from a tin
    Any pastas

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Same goes for the allergy issues re not being able to send ds in with a peanut butter sandwich. Surely kids that do have allergies are educated and aware at 4yrs old what they can't have though!?

Anyone have any ideas of acceptable snacks to put in lunch boxes?
    At a school I taught at a child who was allergic to peanuts picked up some paper that had had a peanut butter sandwich wrapped in it and immediately had a severe reaction.

It's not always a matter of eating peanuts or peanut butter, any contact can send a child into anaphylactic shock, as a society we really have to engage in a village approach and protect these children at school, daycare, kindy etc and with as much empathy and understanding as we can muster.

As for ideas -
    Small tub of pasta with some pesto
    Small tub of salad
    Cherry toms
    Pikelets
    Salad wrap
    Tub of veggies with some sour cream for dipping
    Small tub of rice with some peas, corn, capsicum mixed through
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 07-05-2012 at 08:07.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-05-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've already had the nut thing explained in another thread, nut allergies dont just give the kid a belly ache, even a tiny amount can (and had) killed children so if a kid eats a nut and doesn't wash their hands properly (what kid does)go then they are potentially going to kill another child ...

As for lunches Ds takes carrot and cucumber sticks with coleslaw or thousand island dressing, tinned corn, corn crackers with Vegemite, mandarins, grapes, apple pieces, a tub with yogurt in it, an orange cut and peeled, if its a warmer day freeze the orange and by lunch it should be defrosted but nice and cold

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    You've already had the nut thing explained in another thread, nut allergies dont just give the kid a belly ache, even a tiny amount can (and had) killed children so if a kid eats a nut and doesn't wash their hands properly (what kid does)go then they are potentially going to kill another child ...

Was going to say the same thing myself.

DD used to have ham and cheese toasted sarnies, mini sausages, mini sausage rolls, pikelets,pasta with grated cheese.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 07-05-2012 at 08:05. Reason: Not necessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    No sultanas???

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    No sultanas???

***Sent from my phone***
    Sultanas fall under 'dried fruit, and are very high in sugar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, sure, but really? I'm a vegetarian and complete health nut.. Even I eat dried fruit!

***Sent from my phone***