+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Almost 7-year-old girl with Body Odour... Does this mean puberty is looming?

Oh no.

My daughter, who's not even 7 yet, has started noticing her body odour under her arms. I had a whiff too... and yes, it's there. Definitely.

Now obviousy that means that she's going to require deodorant or something (not anti-perspirant though)... but does it also mean that puberty is looming?

I had breasts and pubic hair by about 8 but was really hoping she'd be more like my mother who didn't get her period until she was 16. Well, maybe not as extreme as Mum, but definitely not early like me.

It is one of the first stages of puberty, right? I'm hoping I still have HEAPS of time before anything else. She knows about periods and hair and such... but I was hoping we'd have a very long time before that was an issue...

Bleh.

Any advice? Any info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Andremarche (onset of hair, BO etc) comes about 2 years prior to menarche (onset of menstruation), or when they reach about 40kg statistically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Sassy mummy

You obviously have a good relationship with your daughter that she felt comfortable talking to you about it. Well done!
    I'm not medically qualified so I dont know the "progression" of puberty but it seems plausible that this is the start.
    My only concern would be that deoderent may leave your daughter feeling self conscious as it just attempts to mask the odour. When I was pregnant I used an alcohol free aluminum free anti perspirent so that might be an option. Also if she's got sports on something can you supply a clean shirt for after just do she feels clean? Since your daughter communicates so well with you, talk to her about her wishes.

I hope others can offer some additional info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is almost 9 and has breast developing already. Not sure how far off her period is. She uses deodorant and has done so for about 6 months on a regular basis. She didnt have body odour yet but she wanted to use in the mornings so I allowed it.
    I got my period at 11-12 years so I'm hoping it stays away for at least another couple of years.
    But the mood swings are in full swing now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd is 9 and is developing breasts, has underarm hair snd has really bad body odour. she uses deodorant but it doesnt seem to help much. My gp suggested getting her to wash in phisohex ? as it kills the germs. My dd doesnt seem to care about the smell so I try not to make a big deal about it but I do remind her to put the deodorant on in the morning before school. I got my period when I was 11 or 12.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not even 7? Bummer. Mildly precocious puberty. Take her to the doctor for a checkup, but there is probably not much you should do. There is a drug which can delay it - Lupron.
    When she notices the changes, just pretend to be proud and happy, and take her shopping for training bras, if she is self-conscious - which all girls are.

Re antiperspirant, see
    http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...rspirants.aspx
    Last edited by goldtoe; 06-05-2012 at 14:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ta guys.

I won't be using an anti-perspirant... doing beauty therapy we've learnt all about how bad these can be for us... I still use them because I'm willing to abuse my body to avoid the sweaty stench... lol... but not going to do that to her.

I got my period at 11... and boobs/pubes about 8... but still so annoying. I hated that I went through puberty so young, so feel for my daughter if this really is a sign of it looming. BO isn't a massive issue in itself... just worried about whether or not this means the onset of puberty is not far off. *sigh* Poor thing.

She's got no signs of budding breasts, and while I haven't closely inspected her nether-regions, I haven't noticed any hair just when she's gotten dressed or anything.

She's not even nearly 40kg... she's only about 25kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    Not even 7? Bummer. Mildly precocious puberty. Take her to the doctor for a checkup, but there is probably not much you should do. There is a drug which can delay it - Lupron.
    When she notices the changes, just pretend to be proud and happy, and take her shopping for training bras, if she is self-conscious - which all girls are.

Re antiperspirant, see
    http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...rspirants.aspx
    That's what we were worried about with DD3 too. She started getting the body odour before she turned 7yrs. Then at 7yrs she started getting breast buds. They actually got bigger again just before she turned 8yrs. Poor thing doesn't think thats fair.

But her hormones are all normal so no sign of precocious puberty. Dr said they can get the body odour and breast buds without it having anything to do with their hormones.