+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has any other mums/dads been through a tonsillectomy with a 3 year old

Hi my ds had his tonsils and adenoids out last Thursday he handled the operation really well waking up in recovery was horrible he screamed and thrashed around for at least an hour but once he come around he was really good he ate extremely well that day and not too bad the 2nd day though we are now on day 4 an they have been terrible he screams about every 5hrs when the pain killers are wearing off an sometimes before there is no making him happy you just have to ride it out he doesn't sleep well at night due to the pain I'm guessing, has anyone else been through this and have any advise I feel awful that I've put him through this no one told me the recovery would be this bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we are going through this with ds (4) and it is awful. We were told days 4-7 are the worst, on day 9 now and its still pretty bad. My advice would be keep up the meds every 4 hours, if they gave you stronger pain killers use them, otherwise get painstop from the chemist. We are even doing the meds overnight so that its never for more than 4 hours. Which is more doses than what they tell you on the bottle but we checked with surgeon's nurse and she okayed it. Check with the chemist about painstop night time too, that has a sedative too to help them sleep. I am not normally one to give lots of drugs but the amount of pain is horrendous with tonsils.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    maybe try using painstop night for both dya and night as it seemed ot last longer for us. Also my DD sucked on those quelch/zooper dopper long ice blocks a lot- especially as soon as she woke up from a sleep(sleeps with mouth open end sup with dry throat) and the ice blocks numb it a little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (06-05-2012)